Running Style Changed! (?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Running Style Changed! (?)

Audi (von Bluewing) turned 11 months today and while out playing tennis ball, I confirmed what I had first noticed about 2-3 weeks ago; and that is, when she runs (medium and high speeds), both rear legs move forward/backwards together...I guess like a panther or rabbit. I could have sworn she used to run with all four legs moving independently; they still do when she "trots" at slower speeds/walks.

Anyone else notice this? Are mature GSD's suppose to run like this? YouTube video's seem to indicate so.

Anyway, here's a picture of her:
http://www.mofka.com

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Running Style Changed! (?)

I don't know if it is normal but Athena has always ran like that.Walking is fine.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

This kind of movement is called bunny hopping and is frequently an indication of hip dyplasia. If this keeps up, you should ask your vet about it the next time you go in.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Definition of "run":

Quote:
Quote:to go quickly by moving the legs more rapidly than at a walk and in such a manner that for an instant in each step all or both feet are off the ground.
Running like this:

Trot:

Quote:
Quote:to go at a gait between a walk and a run, in which the legs move in diagonal pairs, but not quite simultaneously, so that when the movement is slow one foot at least is always on the ground, and when fast all four feet are momentarily off the ground at once.
and trotting like this:

If she looks kinda like the pictures above running and trotting it is perfectly normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Elite Member

Nice shots, Amaruq!! I've been hiking and trail running with Riley a lot lately and from doing so, I've been watching her from behind alot... riley will do this bunny thing when she's running and picking up speed. Trotting is more the four legged thing when we aren't going as fast. looks like the pictures above!

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

There is a difference between bunny hopping and the style of running that Ruq posted. In that picture the two back legs are close but one is on the ground and the other in the area. When a dog is bunny hopping they are noticeably planting both back feet down together at the same time. Depending on the age of your dog and the degree of bunny hopping they're doing this could be a problem.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Knighted Member

the legs will be very close together, with very little separation, during a sprint. even though the legs appear to be moving in unison, you should notice one leg planting just ahead of the other. i notice gsd's arent too smooth when they are cantering (between a trot and gallop) and their hind end will bounce up more.

this looks like a normal gsd running to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH1lPQf-XgU

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

I have had dogs with bad hips and they dont' have the extension that others have. When they are running they do NOT look like this:

(This is my 11 month old. She NEVER moves in a way that you would call a "bunny hop"".)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Elite Member

You know Tracy you probably get tired of hearing but what a fantastic looking dog you have and I am sure from the pics she is super smart and tempered too. She is a fantastic example of a good dog. Of course it helps to have a mom who can take pics, they are always appreciated.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Master Member

GSDs can gallop or trot. The OP is describing a gallop. GSDs, even pure show dogs, don't just trot. They can also gallop when they want to, especially if more speed or acceleration is desired.
GSDs with good structure rarely canter. They're either walking, trotting, galloping or leaping.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_gait#Gallop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page