All the new things Spring brings... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

All the new things Spring brings...

We've had some warmer weather and I am seeing how Spring is going to be a challenge! We've walked all winter long, but very seldom saw anyone. Now we are seeing joggers and more and more people. That seems to be doing ok.

It's inside the house where Faith is going nuts. Every new sound, every time she sees a person outside she gets so excited barking! She is only 5 months, so i know this is puppy behavior.

What I need to find out is how to calm her so we aren't going from one "crisis" to another. Kids playing on the trampoline across the street.. Crisis! People standing outside laughing... Crisis! Thunder booming and waking us up this morning... Major Crisis! That was really funny though- she ran around the house looking at all the doors and windows like someone had "knocked" on the whole house.

Also, she has suddenly decided trucks are a thing to fear when we are on our walks. The vet says she is not very self assured. I'm taking her every place I can think of. We will return to training in 6 weeks.

So how do I keep her calm- or calm her? I know seeing strange people is going to be a reason to bark. I want to acknowledge her letting us know someone is at the door or on the property- but we really don't need to know the lady three doors down went outside to get her paper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Crowned Member

Re: All the new things Spring brings...

Teach her to focus on you or "target". Get her favorite treat (mine's is cheese) and get her to sit, put the treat in you hand, let her know it's there then close it in your palm.

She'll learn to focus on you/your hand, not the distractions in order to get the goody. This also works wonders on walks.

When you come to people, shower her with treats, like a frickin' rain shower of treats while she's in a sit. She'll learn that people= yummy stuff. And just keep on socializing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page