Signed up for obedience class but trainer.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Signed up for obedience class but trainer....

Signed up for obedience class but trainer wants to come do some private lessons first because when I registered I had to fill out how Nikita was towards other dogs. Lately she has been very unpredictable. Yesterday (and last night) she was lunging at a couple dogs while on leash.. trainer doesn't want her in the group class yet which I can understand. So trainer is coming over in a couple hours to assess Nikita's situation. I definitely don't want her dog agressive. She is great with people though.

Keep your fingers crossed! I don't want to keep payin for these private classes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Re: Signed up for obedience class but trainer....

Nikita is great with most dogs, but some dogs just set her off and I don't know why.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

Nikita has hit her teen age butt head time too I would imagine.

Does she does this only on leash? Often dogs will be reactive on leash becasue the leash is a restraint and they cannot communicate effectively and cannot escape or increase distance when they feel unsure.

This may not have anything to do with true aggression but may well be uncertainly with the other dog approaching head on and Nikita is unsure how to act and you are not stepping up to help her out of her predicament.

When dogs are unsure or a little afraid they will react with defensive aggression because it is a distance increasing behavior. Greater distance means they can be safer and relax more.

There are lots of things you can do to work on this too.

I can understand you not wanting to pay for a private lesson but in the long run it may be less expensive for you. You generally need fewer lessons as you get more one on one. The one on one will give you a whole lot more tailored just toy uo and Nikita.

Hope it goes well today and please update when you can.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Knighted Member

Ongoing private lessions can add up, but having the trainer do an one on one evalutation can give you a great opportunity to gather some information. Take advantage of the time and attention of the trainer.

Good Luck!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

Athena is the same way.I thought it was the obnoxious dogs in our class but at Petsmart the other day she was barking and lunging at a dog that wasn't doing anything.If this woman has a problem keep looking my trainer just helped us through it.Like I told another person be prepared to be the center of attention in a not so good way.We had to do some extra exercises to help her on ignoring the other dogs.When she does it correct immediately and if she get uncontrollable put her into a down position till she comes out of it.Keep us updated.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

She came and we talked a lot about the specifics and what not. She gave me some exercises to do, but she doesn't feel that she needs to come back. Basically, my job is to take Nikita on a walk, stand outside the dog park, etc. When Nikita looks at another dog (or cat) and her ears go up, it is my job to immediately use my clicker and then treat.. When she gets better at this and treats it as a game, I can slowly get closer to dogs as long as she still turns and looks at me when I use the clicker. If she ignores the clicker, I am too close and need to back up. Also, eventually I will be giving her a "look" command JUST as she sees a dog and then I use the clicker.

We went on a walk and practiced this and the trainer said we both did great and thats pretty much that. She guesses that I could probably jump into her group classes within a few weeks.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

And she also opened my eyes to the fact that probably most of the times Nikita has jumped/barked at dogs, I had the leash tight instead of loose which triggers that aggression.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like you found a good trainer!!

She is having you teach the Look at That game! This is a fun way to teach the dog focus on you while at the same time letting her realx in the environment.

Good luck and it is so fortunate that you are starting this early, it will be so easy to fix this way!

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Hopefully all goes well and we can all agree that paying a trainer is cheaper than paying someone else's vet bills haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page