Getting Thunder more "into" me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Getting Thunder more "into" me

Hi There!

When I go to the Sheperd club on Sundays and I am training with the other owners, Thunder seems to be looking at everyone but me, I am just not interesting enough, compared to the other dogs who mostly are looking at their owners. Thunder is 11 months old, but I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I play with him, teach him tricks, feed him, exercise him, train him, but even when I am calling him and by some miracle he is coming to me, he is still looking in the other direction. We sometimes use treats with him which helps a little but barely at all, maybe it might improve things for 1-2 minutes over an hour. As soon as he has the treats he is looking elsewhere again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Getting Thunder more "into" me

What I am not seeing in your post is where you have worked on focus as that is a behavior and requires training just as much as the others. So if you have not worked on focus/watch me specifically, here is a thread talking about workng on focus:
Teaching focus

If you have worked on the focus/watch me, can you describe a little about how you go about it and use it?

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Elite Member

i trained focus a little different. i never trained tyson a command to look at me.

ok i have to figure out how to explain this well..

say for instance you are working his obediance. if his eyes are on the toy/treat do not reward him until he looks at you. when he does look at you say "yes!" and reward him quickly. once he has figured out that he has to look then add a couple seconds...1...2.. YES!- reward.. its kind of the same concept of teaching stay. its starts out with just a couple seconds in the beginning and slowly time is increased.

one last thing remember to be patient

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all this seems like it could work.

One question, when you give a command when teaching a new trick or something, how long should you wait before giving the command again if it isn't being done. Occasionally Thunder might not get it, or will try and ignore what I am saying to test me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 02:19 AM
Knighted Member

When teaching (or associating which is what Steve described) you should be able to avoid for a while.

I would start the way Steve describe - you are capturing the behavior and not assigning a word at first. Whenever Thunder looks at you, mark it with praise. Praise examples would include -"Yes!"... Good Look!'... "Nice focus" ..."Good watch me" - pick one. Select the word you plan on using as the command later on. IF you are consistent with it, very soon you can use the word to get the focus from Thunder.

Once you get to a point where you are using the command, how long you wait to repeat is dependent on the behavior you trying to invoke. You don't want your dog thinking it can wait until, say the third time, so you may want to consider going in and "assisting" the dog by positioning him correctly. If you do repeat the command, you want to do that for a very short period.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Knighted Member

I'm having the same problem in class. At home and controlled walks focus is good and I'm happy, in class that those lovely brown eyes are looking at everything but me. I do work on focus exercises at home and in class when I can.

She's just like my daughter - something else is always more interesting that what she is doing at the moment. I'm cursed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page