Is this a set back? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Is this a set back?

Jake and I went to town yesterday for some city practice. We were walking (nicely too, by the way) down the sidewalk. I decided we'd go visit the police station again. He likes the policemen and they seem to like him. At least, they don't mind me bringing him.

We passed one police car and the sheriff leans out, says hi, and pats Jake on the side. We approach the next car (last one before the door--its is on the street, we're on the sidewalk) and "WOOF,WOOF,WOOF!!" Really loud, really agressive barking from the K-9 dog. Jake jumped straight up and ran (imagine the Flintstones) about 10 feet before I could recover and haul him back. Sheriff in car #1 is laughing hysterically. I'm getting a bit upset and said "You could have told me the dog was in the car!" K-9 handler comes flying out of the station, quickly surveys the situation, and tells his dog to "Stop it right now, you can't go scaring little baby Shepherds!" I don't think the K-9 actually was being reprimanded. It was for my sake, I'm sure. So we're still on friendly terms with the policemen. Jake has no trouble with them or their cars.

But . . . the rest of the day when he heard dogs barking he'd hide behind my legs. This morning he seems more settled about dogs barking, but still a little skittish. I'll try get him out to Bass Pro Shop today to see more dogs, animals, and police. He has training club on Tuesday, so more dogs there too.

Jake's Mom

Max (GSD) June 1997 to Sept 2006
Jake (GSD) Oct 2008
Keilan (GSD) May 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Master Member

Re: Is this a set back?

It may have just caught him off guard more than anything else. I personally wouldn't think it would set him back. Get him out and about like you have planned and see how he reacts. I am sure he will be just fine with other dogs.

*Tetley's Mom*

Tetley - GSD 1 Yr Old
Cheddar - Orange Tabby Cat
Cannoli - B&W Ragdoll Cat
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I hope you're right!

Jake's Mom

Jake (GSD) Oct 2008
Keilan (GSD) May 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Probably just spooked him a bit. I'm sure he will come around. You might want to just try and ensure that he has positive interactions with dogs as much as possible so he sees they are nothing to fear. And don't give him hugs or try to comfort him when he's scared. By doing that, you are just telling him it's ok to be scared. You need to be the leader and be strong and make him tough it out. It's basically tough love....

Sydney (Black GSD Female - 6-12-08)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Crowned Member

He will be just fine! It was kinda a surprise for him-- plus, HE thought that he was being reprimanded by a much older dog! I am sure that with all the other dogs he sees being neutral, or waggy-silly-goofy, he will totally do GREAT. You have nothing to worry about! This was a normal reaction. He did super! I hope to hear the good news about you feeling better, as you see him being just fine seeing and hearing other dogs at training. GOOD JOB getting him out and about!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Elite Member

When something startles me or my dog, I laugh after and say weren't we being silly? the tone of voice and release of energy seems to calm things down and then tails wag and we are more relaxed. It seems to rebuild confidence, then we go by the scary thing knowing what will happen with treats adn calmness.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

We were able to get out a bit yesterday. Jake did great as long as long as we met people, small dogs, other animals, medium dogs, stuffed bear, stuffed moose, etc. The first time we passed a parked police car he kind of skittered around until we passed it. Second time he did fine.

However -- he freaked out when he saw a service dog (not K-9). Arrghh! Thankfully we have several very well behaved GSDs in our training club. I'm going to see if the owners would be willing to come early and help me get him beyond this.

Jake's Mom

Jake (GSD) Oct 2008
Keilan (GSD) May 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page