Question on socializing w/other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Question on socializing w/other dogs

So, we just got our new GS. She is apx.5 months old. Got her from the shelter.

We've only had her less than a week. When we got her they said her one wierd thing was how crazy she would get when she saw other dogs.
She just basically gets over excited. Furr stands up, jumps around, high pitched barking/howling.

I have been having her meet dogs at every opportunity the last few days we've had her.
Once she meets a dog, all she wants to do is play like crazy.
No aggression that i can see. She just wants to play.

Do i just keep doing what i'm doing? Having her meet as many dogs as possible?
Or is there something else I can do to keep her from going balistic when she sees other dogs?

I can control her outbursts. I just dont want her to have them in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Question on socializing w/other dogs

Get your pup in an obedience class. This will help you and her. If you don't want her to act this way, just turn around and walk her the other way. At 5 mos. she is still a baby and probably had no shaping in her early mos. OB will be a great experience for both of you! Congrats on your new family member and welcome to the site.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Crowned Member

Yes, obedience classes are the way to go. Your new dog needs to meet as many dogs as possible but in a controlled manner. She needs to learn to mind her own business and ignore other dogs until you let her play with them. This is called good manners.

Elaine and the herd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Elite Member

This kind of behavior at 5 mos concerns me. I would consider "fur stands up with growling and barking" something to be wary of at the very least. I have a dog that doesn't do well with other dogs although he was VERY well socialized when he was a youngster. So call me paranoid, but knowing what I know now, I would definitely get a handle on this before one day something bad happens. This behavior *could* be a warning signal is all I'm trying to say.

If you look at the behavior of a dog/pup inviting another dog to play, this isn't it.

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

German Shepherd Dog Blog

• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Crowned Member

The fur raised, growling, barking is a sign of fear. Pups go thru fear stages and remember this one is transitioning to a new home, it may be just too much all at once. A 5 mo old just doesn't have the maturity to handle situations properly.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Quote:The fur raised, growling, barking is a sign of fear.
It would help if someone who knows dogs, specially GSD's, could see your pup. All that above behavior can also just be signs of over-excitement and inappropriate behavior in a pup that age. Can look exactly sound exactly the same to most of us, but the pup's intent is completely different.

I'd keep going out and about with your pup but maybe try not to get so close for a bit. So you keep your pup exposed but not to the extent they go out of their minds...... I always use tons of treats (cut up teeny like pea-sized) in circumstances like this, and you know if you go to close because there will be ZERO interest in the food! You want to interact and keep your pups attention, while they still know what's going on, but don't push it until they no longer care who's on the other end of the leash and what they are doing.

Dog classes are great, you may want to call the instructor for a private ahead of time though so they can see your situation and give help and recommendations even before the class starts.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

there is no growling. I said howling. Like a husky.

if she meets the dog face to face and it is bigger than her, she will posture like a submisive dog. low to the ground, ears back, licking.

if its a smaller dog, she wants to jump on top of it.

if its a puppy or the same size as her. she immediatly just jumps all over it in play.

but until she actually gets up to the dog, she is yelping like a crazy Husky dog. her hair does stand up, but there is no growling and only a few barks. Its a very noisy and rediculous display.

I will be taking her to training classes any day now. I just have to find a good place.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/Dev...talStages.html

~JACK~

Jasper
Loki Van Den Heuvel III
Finn Van Den Heuvel
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like a young dog that wasn't ALLOWED to be with other dogs much.

As long as you know the other dogs and know they won't react badly to her displays I would say keep getting her out!! The more dogs she meets (and the more times she meets the same dogs) the less of a display she should make.

Obedience classes are a good idea, too.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Master Member

Hair standing does NOT necessarily mean aggression. Sounds like your dog indeed just wants to play. My current female's hair stands anytime she gets excited around another dog, even when she's playing with them. I believe hair-raising is just one of those nature things that animals do to try to appear bigger. Fish do it, peacocks do it, and not necessarily in antagonistic situations, either.

Presently, when on a leash, my 7 month old cries like mad when she sees another dog and wants to play with it, like a really loud whimpering. Sometimes, she looks up into my eyes and even barks at me. Even though she's composed enough to stay at heel, I can't stand it (OK, I AM standing it, but working on curbing that behavior). Interestingly, my dog is better off leash than on leash. For example, she NEVER gets wound up like this off-leash and WILL stay at a heel even when she wants to go off and play with another dog. So, I know that the only reason she acts that way on-lead is because she FEELS like she's in a restrained position, even though her lead is not taut.

Have you had the chance to take her to a dog park? See what she's like there. Will she sit and stay OFF-lead next to you without the drama?

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page