I think we were asked politely not to come back to - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I think we were asked politely not to come back to

puppy socialization . it is typically for 12-16 weeks, we took Koch at 11 weeks and she is how 14 weeks. It really isn't a structured class, we just let the dogs run around for an hour and play.

Koch is just playing a bit more "older" than all the puppies there, she is the most active in the class where most of the other dogs are pretty shy. She wants to play with everyone and play a bit rougher than the other dogs (mostly their owners) are used too...

Koch has met and played with about 30 other dogs, so she is doing well. I just need to figure out a way to get her around some more dogs to play with.

Java Haus Juris, CGC - 6/2/2012
Kessey "Koch" Von der Sauk - 10/26/2008 - 04/23/2011 - Pronounced "Coke"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Re: I think we were asked politely not to come back to

Aww! Poor big girl! Is she the biggest girl in the class?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

Do you plan on starting obedience classes with her? In my classes there is no socialization just the distraction.What types of dogs are in the puppy class with her?

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: aubieAww! Poor big girl! Is she the biggest girl in the class?
Last week there was a beautiful sable that was 16 weeks, but it wasn't here this week. she has been the biggest besides the sable. There was a beautiful Golden Retriever that was there today that was the same size, but it wasn't as playful as Koch.

There was a Aussie Shepherd that showed up that Koch chased around and became playful, it was pretty good.

Then they let this little Jack Russel out with the big dogs and Koch was determined to eat it.

I wish there were "larger dog" puppy classes. It is sad how many dogs actually show up at puppy classes considering how many puppies there are.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AllieGDo you plan on starting obedience classes with her? In my classes there is no socialization just the distraction.What types of dogs are in the puppy class with her?
That might be a good idea, add in some obedience with good distraction.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

I agree, I think it's time for your "little girl" to get ready for obedience classes.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

I thought Athena would be good with other dogs but I found out otherwise in obedience.She still might be ok but since we can't let them mingle I still have no idea.She is vocal with the others but I don't know if it is a mean vocal or a I want to play vocal.I could take her to a play group on Sat but it's like a 1/2 hour drive and $6.00 a week.I need to get together with our friends who have a GSD a month older but I keep being w/o a vehicle.
I would try the obedience as well.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AllieGI thought Athena would be good with other dogs but I found out otherwise in obedience.She still might be ok but since we can't let them mingle I still have no idea.She is vocal with the others but I don't know if it is a mean vocal or a I want to play vocal.I could take her to a play group on Sat but it's like a 1/2 hour drive and $6.00 a week.I need to get together with our friends who have a GSD a month older but I keep being w/o a vehicle.
I would try the obedience as well.
Yeah, vocal is an understatement with Koch. She barks. She barks a lot. She growls. The puppy parents find this intimidating but Koch's tail is wagging so hard it almost knocks her back end over.

But, I can't say I wasn't any different Koch's first week there, but after seeing her being fine I relaxed a bit more with more dominant dogs.

Those strong headed GSD's!

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: aubieI agree, I think it's time for your "little girl" to get ready for obedience classes.
Yeah I will now look into them.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Elite Member

The place I go to is puppy training but the last 10 minutes are free play. They are split up in ages and the small breeds are taken to another play room if they or their owners feel intimidated. Ty at 9 months has just finished his third round of classes(Puppy1, puppy2, advanced puppy). Each session has had different pups and breeds, with the last one several large breeds and a few smaller, but they stayed with us. WE learn a bit more obedience but the social aspect is invaluable. When my guy, the more sure of himself dominant type gets pushy,(he doesn't let the others go to their owners), they used squirt bottles, then a squirt gun to redirect him. It has given him an awesome out, and he loves classes. Maybe you can find this type of situation for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page