A petition to save German Shepherds from WAR! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

A petition to save German Shepherds from WAR!

The United Kingdom is all set to airdrop German shepherd dogs to take on the well armed Taliban and the al-Qaeda insurgents in Afghanistan. These German Shepherds would jump from an aircraft at 25,000 feet after being parachuted in hostile terrain and would lead the assault in SAS (Special Air Service) raids to seek out Taliban and al-Qaeda insurgents. With tiny cameras fixed to their heads, these magnificent canines, by putting their own life in danger, would beam live TV pictures back to the troops, warning of ambushes and showing enemy leaders locations. In fact, The SAS source admits that "The dogs will be exposed to very high levels of danger on these operations."

This absurd and cruel tactic of deploying dogs in situations that are too dangerous for soldiers has been devised to cut down the soaring casualty rates in Afghanistan and Iraq. These valiant but powerless and vulnerable dogs would have to helplessly face the armed terrorists who do not mind blowing themselves up. In fact for them, these dogs at best could be target practice.

Instead of putting the lives of these beautiful creatures on the block, the SAS should probably devise alternative ways like sending automated robots to save the precious lives of the soldiers. But this despicable and outrageous plan has been adopted only because the poor German shepherd dogs cannot stand up for themselves.

Please help STOP this cruel tactic of sending German Shepherd dogs to War in Afghanistan. Stand up for the German Shepherds and send a message to Rt Hon Des Browne MP, Secretary of State for Defence, UK, today.

Please sign this petition and help reverse this decision.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/sto...ake-on-taliban
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Knighted Member

Re: A petition to save German Shepherds from WAR!

I did it thanks for posting.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

I won't be signing it. Besides the parachuting stuff, which i'm sure is as safe as any other repelling stuff they do with dogs, it doesn't sound like they will be used any differently than dogs have been used for a long time right along with the soldiers. Yeah they have camera's, but it's not like they're unleashing dogs to roam the country side, they are used as forward patrols like they have for a long time. Dangerous yes, but what war isn't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:58 PM

Does anyone have a link to a <u>news article </u>about sending a group of dogs off to war in such a manner?

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:11 PM

Okay I found one.
Newspaper Link

It does sound like what has already been going on by the military and except for the planes what is done many times by law enforcement. Reading the original I thought it was saying the dogs would be roaming around on their own and I just couldn't believe that. Brave dogs and brave handlers. As far as robots go, they have their uses on a smooth surface but I don't think they have any that can climb rocks.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Crowned Member

Here's an article from the BBC about training dogs to parachute with members of the SAS - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7518560.stm

Training dogs to parachute with soldiers is not a new concept. In the United States, this was first done during World War II. The book "War Dogs" mentions one dog who parachuted in the European Theater along with US Airborne troops, which, as far as I know, was the only combat jump any dog had during WWII. The concept of parachuting with working dogs was later brought back in Vietnam and, more recently, in the UK. (Long before this current article.)

The dogs don't jump by themselves, they are attached in a special harness to their handler and jump with them. This is not any more dangerous for the dog than rappelling over the side of a building with his handler or being lifted to and from a helicopter using a sling, both of which are frequently done with military working dogs and, in some cases, even with police dogs.

There are NO news articles I have been able to find that actually said what the SAS is planning to use the dogs that are currently in training for. I certainly have not seen mention of them "being sent in with cameras attached to their heads." I would assume that these dogs would most likely be used as sentry dogs, tracking dogs, or detection dogs. The UK has, by the way, currently one of the best working dog, and particularly tracking dog, programs in the world.

It's a military working dog's primary task to detect danger - either by locating enemy ambushes or locating explosives - and has been since we have had dogs on the battlefield. There is nothing "wrong" or "cruel" about this - it's what these dogs are bred, and trained for.

I think, like many petitions, they are written by well-meaning people who have little understanding of what these dogs will be used for (or are basing their opinions on sensationalized articles) or how working dogs in the armed forces are used. This petition makes it sounds like hundreds of dogs will be dropped without soldiers nearby, and left to run around with cameras - as if the dogs would know where to go or what to look for without their handlers nearby.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Master Member

I agree with crackem,they are at risk to get kill,but so is bomb sniffing dogs,police dogs,or any dogs use in combat.
I know it's sad,but maybe this would be better for troops to complete their missions.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

While I love my dogs and the breed, if one of my dogs could save human lives by wearing a camera and being on forward patrol, I would be so proud. These dogs are bred to protect and serve, just like soliders are trained to protect and serve. A human life has more value to me than dogs and I love dogs.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Master Member

I did read articles on this and find that the dogs are doing a great service to our Country with their work. I agree with Wisc. on this one. I love love dogs, but if they can save thousands of human lives with their service let them do what they were born to do. Work.

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Crowned Member

obviously Kak is just that, kak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page