100 stitches needed to repair dog bite - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

100 stitches needed to repair dog bite

I tend to keep an eye on this local paper about every day so I will try to post updates but this appears very sad.

100 stitches need to repair dog bite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Re: 100 stitches needed to repair dog bite

I called and got a subscriber's password and read the entire story which I copied here.

A Columbus boy attacked by a German shepherd needed more than 100 stitches to mend bite marks across his face.
Jakob Kelso, 9, said he was leaving a neighbor's home on Pence Street Thursday when the German shepherd bolted from the house and jumped on him outside.
The dog chewed on Jakob's face, tearing away skin, knocking out a permanent tooth and splitting his nose.
"I stood up and tried to run away, but I couldn't," Jakob said Monday. "I tripped, and the dog got me."
The official story from authorities says Jakob went inside the dog owner's home and was attacked, although he did not engage the dog. "There are a couple conflicting reports, but the evidence indicates the dog was in the house from statements by varying people," said Kevin Konetzka, director of Animal Control. The dog's owner, Deborah Cash, declined to comment. Jakob's brother, Jordan, said he and his brother had been jumping on the trampoline at the Cash residence at 211 Pence St. when he realized they needed to go home around 8 p.m. Jordan said he was a few steps ahead of Jakob, who had stopped to put on his shoes outside the house. "I heard the scream, so I ran down there," Jordan said. One of the boys who lived at the Cash house tried to stop the dog, Jakob said.
"The dog jumped over his foot and ran at me," he said.
Jakob said the next thing he remembers is waking up in an ambulance.
He had to undergo a roughly two-hour surgery, which included sewing 35 stitches to close wounds below the skin and 100 more to connect the skin back to his face.
Jakob, a third-grader at Fodrea Community School, will miss a week of school recuperating inside his mother's apartment.
Konetzka said the dog has a valid rabies vaccination, noting that another officer spoke to the dog's veterinarian.
The dog must be quarantined inside the Cash's residence for 10 days and be walked on a leash.
Officers will do routine checks at the residence and speak with the dog owners to make sure they are following the quarantine order.
Jakob's mother, Annie Kelso, said she thinks the dog could attack again.
"There's other kids that live around this neighborhood," Annie Kelso said. "If that dog can do it to my kid, he can do it again."

The really sad part of this whole thing is this is Greta's brother. I know this dog (or thought I did) and didn't see this coming.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

Who knows what really happened. Sad for the child. And the dog will probably be PTS.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Elite Member

I know we love our dogs and would like to think that they could never do anything like that, but ... you just never know.

And ... you can never be too safe. For the most part, I trust my dogs, but I would never trust them 100% around any kid - especially not my. It is very sad and the kid will probably be afraid of dogs, especially GSDs, for the rest of his life and the dog will probably be PTS.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JAguirreI know we love our dogs and would like to think that they could never do anything like that, but ... you just never know.

And ... you can never be too safe. For the most part, I trust my dogs, but I would never trust them 100% around any kid - especially not my. It is very sad and the kid will probably be afraid of dogs, especially GSDs, for the rest of his life and the dog will probably be PTS.
I don't understand you not trusting your dogs 100%. I get it with some - take my situation.......Tucson (RIP) I would never leave him with kids or other dogs as I did not trust him completely. Tripper - I do not trust him 100% either, especially with his recent behavior with Bosley.

BUT, Lexi and Bosley would never hurt a fly. I would trust them with anyone, anytime, anyplace.

Are you saying you don't trust your dogs because of behavior you have witnessed or just any dog in particular? I am not trying to start an argument, I just want to understand what you are saying.

Gracie, GSD/lab mix, 3 years old
Leroy, lab - 3 years old
Lexi, GSD - 8 years old
Bosley, lab - 9 years old (RIP sweet boy 12/22/09)
Tucson, lab - 6/13/06 (RIP)
Lily, lab - 5/6/08 (RIP)

post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

Until a dog is capable of understanding right and wrong at a moral level I will never trust ANY dog 100%.

Heck, I don't trust people that much either!
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Banned

i think it's a good idea not to trust your dogs 100%. as friendly as my dog is with children, adults, cats, horses, i would never leave him alone with any of them. maybe it's more of don't trust the situation. don't leave your dog in a room or in a yard with a child. don't leave your dog in a pasture or barn with horses. do i think my dog will do something bad, no i don't but i don't risk it. i don't leave my dogs in the yard unattended. yeah, i let them out and i'll go and put a load of laundry in the washer but then i go right back to them and my yard is completely fenced in but i feel better keeping an eye on them. i can leave my dog in front of the local store and he stays. i ask people to go up to him and pet him and then pick up his leash and try to get him to move, he doesn't. now i'm standing in the store looking at him. now i do this for training to stay but i would never go into the store and purchase something because then i couldn't see him. i love my dogs. i don't want anything to happen to them and i don't want something unwanted happening to someone else. trust them 100% as long as you can see them.
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Banned

even if they understand right from wrong at a moral level doesn't mean they're going to make the right decision, people don't. i'm agreeing with you. don't trust them 100%.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

So did the kid go inside the dog's home?

If this is the case, can we really expect our dogs to attack adult tresspassers and leave child tresspassers alone?

If the child was walking down the street and the dog tore out of the house and attacked the child without provocation, then he probably does need to be PTS. Sorry.

What a bummer story for GSDs.

The child says that he tried to run which is understandable, but a problem. Still the dog did not go for the feet or legs, it went for the face. And the amount of stitches required -- Most GSDs can give a healthy bite, but generally they bite once or twice, but do not maul, not unless they are specifically trained to attack and continue to attack until they are given the command to stop. A dog that mauls like this is probably better off PTS. Or at least it is probably better for everyone concerned, even the owners.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Banned

I agree with you on this one, and have a nicely trained European GSD. But as the best advisor I know told me after evaluating Timber. He is a great and well tained European GS male. But under no circumstances should you ever put him in a position in which he will become overly aggressive.

As for the specific attack. I cannot imagine a decently trained and "Normal" shepherd attacking in the manner described.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page