GRCA Public Statement on Importing Rescue Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

GRCA Public Statement on Importing Rescue Dogs

11/6/2019:

https://mailchi.mp/855ad584e19e/grca...w7GZkV5INGD2m8

Agree or disagree, I gotta give them a lot of credit for stepping up and taking a public stance on a hot topic.

We will see if other breed clubs follow suit, show support, or if they stand alone.
Aly, wolfy dog, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Crowned Member

I whole-heartedly agree. And I don't care whether people agree with me or not.

But, I am in Canada and I am also very adamantly opposed to rescue dogs coming here from the US and Mexico.
I don't think rescues should be actively seeking to fill their spots, I am one of those who was in it with the hope that if we educated and promoted responsibility we could eventually close our doors.
Importing dogs that pose a risk to the dogs from here is wrong. Importing dogs to support what has become a really lucrative business is in flagrant violation of what a rescue was supposed to be. The game was to empty the kennels, not fill them.
lhczth, angelas, BahCan and 8 others like this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:53 PM
Crowned Member

AMEN!!!! I'm glad someone is taking the lead on this. A local shelter just imported Korean meat dogs. When they were questioned on their page regarding health testing and safety, they blocked the person.
Aly, ksotto333, CometDog and 1 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Crowned Member

I wonder what they mean by poor temperaments. If the temperaments of these imported Goldens were to present a danger, have no doubt that would be making headline news.

I think stating that 1% of 1 million dogs imported lack appropriate health certifications, do they mean that 1% of dogs imported are from breeders? 99% rescues? Or that half of those dogs are coming from breeders and only .5% of those dogs have proper certifications? There is not enough information given here.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
AMEN!!!! I'm glad someone is taking the lead on this. A local shelter just imported Korean meat dogs. When they were questioned on their page regarding health testing and safety, they blocked the person.
Unsurprised. Our local shelter was one of the first to helicopter in groups of meat dogs. And then (surprise, no surprise) one of the first to discover that 2 out of two dozen tested positive for brucellosis, putting the entire shelter into quarantine mode and freezing adoptions across a multi-county area....
Jax08, Aly and cvamoca like this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 04:38 PM
Master Member

Good for the GRCA......Once again I must really lead a sheltered life.....I had no idea....is this going on with other breed rescues in some areas of the country where there's a higher demand for a specific breed.. than a "supply" of adoptable dogs on hand ?

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

Many adoption facilities look for dogs that are highly adoptable it is how the business succeeds it is a business even if not profit. Test the dogs put them in quarantine. They import all kinds of animals from other countries and will continue to do so. I know people who feel people should not travel to other countries they bring diseases back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Crowned Member

New strain of canine distemper virus arrives in North America | Cornell Chronicle

Importing rescue dogs is the new orange. Korean meat dogs, island street dogs, Egypt, etc.
sit,stay, Aly, Sabis mom and 2 others like this.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Crowned Member

Importing animals animals from other countries is nothing new though the only difference these animals need homes. Are people bringing this over ???? and if not why is quarantine not working and they need rethink why and about bringing any animal bring into the us from any country. Parrots and many birds can give many diseases to people that are often imported from countries to the US. People should not panic but strict regulations should be mandatory to keep people and animals safe and followed as with hundreds of thousands of animals brought into this country -not sure why this is not the case as it should be.

Last edited by Jenny720; 11-07-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

I just was reading and surprised by the lack of restrictions bringing dog into this country.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page