New Law (Australia) ~ Steep fine for not walking your dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

New Law (Australia) ~ Steep fine for not walking your dog

This is a bold move....

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/27/a...cli/index.html

Quote:
(CNN)Dog owners could be fined up to $2,700 (AU$4,000) if they don't walk their pets at least once a day under new legislation recognizing animals as sentient beings in the Australian Capital Territory.
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...aws/ar-AAHSamo

Quote:
As of March next year, pet owners in the ACT will face the hefty fines if their dog is cooped up inside for a whole day and not exercised within the next two hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:53 PM
Banned

Are their concessions for disabled or elderly dogs? I think it could be good as far as bringing awareness to dog owners who are the type to just let them free roam the backyard and call it good, but on the other hand, I cringe when I think of what is being forced on people. I think there should be a middle ground, more awareness being spread, encouragement via some means for those who do, but forcing it on them? I think that maybe a step too far.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Elite Member

I can think of a lot of reasons for this not being a good idea. I’m sure the intention is good, but going about it this way is all wrong. What about people like me that don’t live in a safe neighborhood and can’t drive somewhere multiple times everyday to walk my dog? What about people with aggressive dogs that aren’t safe to have out around other dogs and/or people? What about if you’re someone like me that’s disabled and gets so sick that you end up in the hospital? If I’m having a bad day, walking my dog is something that isn’t prioritized. I up the mental stimulation and call it good. This seems a recipe for disaster.
selzer and JonRob like this.

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:59 PM
Master Member

Be interesting to see if the new laws have real teeth and are actually enforced consistently..I wonder if it will affect the amount of unwanted dogs in shelters-rescues etc because of owners paying the fine and then giving them up.. OR simply not wanting to risk it for some people a fine that big just might be a deal breaker....don't get me wrong it's very clear that many issues right here on the forum would go away if owners spent time exercising their dog daily as a regular routine but....be curious to see how it all plays out and what other countries may try something like that...

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 05:04 PM
Knighted Member

In general, I think it's a good idea to get out and do things with your dogs, but I wonder how anyone could enforce such a law? Are they going to monitor every household with a dog? How would they prove that someone did or didn't walk their dog that day? How long does the walk have to be? What about breeds that are fairly happy (or prefer to be) indoors?--I had a papillon (my apartment dog) who was quite indifferent to walks and would sometimes even run and hide under the table when I grabbed the leash.
selzer likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

That is extreme. Technically, I donít walk my dogs daily but I let them run every day, either at home or somewhere else. Does free running count? How will they enforce it? How will they know? I wonder if itís because so many Australian breeds are herding dogs and need to outdoor experience? What about lap dogs? My friend has Cavs and they almost never get exercise outside of her yard and they are fine.
selzer likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Elite Member

Didn't make the news here (Queensland, Australia). Canberra, capital of Australian Capital Territory a great place to own a dog.

https://www.canberradogwalks.com.au/...ons-every-dog/
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
In general, I think it's a good idea to get out and do things with your dogs, but I wonder how anyone could enforce such a law? Are they going to monitor every household with a dog? How would they prove that someone did or didn't walk their dog that day? How long does the walk have to be? What about breeds that are fairly happy (or prefer to be) indoors?--I had a papillon (my apartment dog) who was quite indifferent to walks and would sometimes even run and hide under the table when I grabbed the leash.
Ha! I had a Great Dane that would tell me to go pound sand if it was rainy or cloudy or windy. And cold? Forget it. I would grab her leash and she would look at me like I was touched and resume lounging on the couch watching TV.
sebrench likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 PM
Crowned Member

Mine donít like to pee in the rain.
Sabis mom and sebrench like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:29 AM
Elite Member

I would be interesting to see the actual wording of the law. I read both links in the original post and both articles used different wording implying two different situations. One of the articles says "cooped up all day" and "must be walked within two hours".
The other the wording is more precise and implies (in my mind) kenneled/created dogs.
States dogs "confined for 24 hours must be allowed to move freely for the next two hours". They defined confined in the article as being kept where movement was restricted.
One also states owners of dogs allowed to roam a backyard won't be fined.
Exemptions also for dogs where confinement is for the well being of dog.
Cooped up and confinement are two different things. In that respect if a dog is "confined" for 24 hours I would certainly be for the dog being allowed to be out to "move freely" and an owner to be fined if they violated that.

It comes across to me that this law isn't meant not so much for the average owner but for those being reported or found to be abusing/neglecting dogs that are kept in small crates or kennels (thinks puppy mills and fighting farms)for long periods of time.
Sabis mom and car2ner like this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page