Good Tip.....Really ??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Good Tip.....Really ???

I found this interesting...actually irritating is a better term......it's been unseasonably hot here in Virginia for a few days....as everybody knows it's the "norm" to see stories on the news ( pick a location )...about a child or a pet left in a HOT car while someone "shops" or even goes to work....many times things don't end well....it's started in the Richmond area again....

So this morning local news.. before a commercial break I hear...." Stay tuned for some tips on what you can do to avoid locking your child or pet in a hot car ".....I stayed tuned and here it is...." put something IMPORTANT in the back seat with your child or pet like a purse--lap top--briefcase or phone so you won't forget the child or pet "...so here's my take away from that story.....put something important in the back seat with your UNIMPORTANT child / pet so you won't forget them....I really wonder if any stories are "proofed" or actually thought about before they're read on the air.....
Sabis mom, Mudypoz, atomic and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:36 AM
Crowned Member

I keep getting memes on FB featuring a dog and/or child titled if you HAVE to be told it's TOO HOT to leave them in a car, you are TOO STUPID to have one

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:44 AM

My local news station ran a similar program a few days ago. Theres no way that this many people "forget" their dogs or children in the backseat, I assume it is just an excuse for when they are caught!
Shane'sDad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:49 AM
Master Member

I still don't get that this is still a problem. Are people that stupid?!

.........removed........please remain on topic.....
Shane'sDad likes this.

Last edited by dogma13; 05-30-2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: pitbull controversy
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:15 AM
LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erros View Post
My local news station ran a similar program a few days ago. Theres no way that this many people "forget" their dogs or children in the backseat, I assume it is just an excuse for when they are caught!
When I take my puppies with me on car runs I have 100 lbs of GSD staring at me from the backseat.... I could not even imagine forgetting they are there.
Shane'sDad and Benjaminb like this.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

I doubt "these people" will put their phone on the back seat. I read about a sensor that alerts when something alive is left in the car. Maybe just in a Tesla though. Cars need to be smarter than people.
Shane'sDad likes this.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:52 PM
Elite Member

So wrong on so many levels. First one: How to increase the chances of child/pet endangerment when you have forgotten them. Even if the heat doesn't get them a thief might.

That's just nuts.
Shane'sDad likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

My phone is NOT more important than my dogs thank you very much. I'd leave the phone 110 times out of 110 before I left my dogs.
Shane'sDad and Sunsilver like this.

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:56 PM

Exactly what I used to think until I read this Pulitzer prize winning article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...a52_story.html

This happens to very good parents. The lizard brain kicks in--your brain goes on automatic pilot and you actually think you dropped your baby off at daycare or whatever when you didn't

It can happen to anyone:

http://www.nanny2u.com.au/the-thing-...-kids-in-cars/

Obviously not talking about the scumbags who do this on purpose.

Kids weren't really forgotten in cars until the early 1990s, when the rules changed and you had to put little kids in the back seat.

You can't stop these horrors unless you accurately understand why they happen. And leaving something you can't function without in the back seat is a darn good way to prevent these tragedies.
Jax08, Shane'sDad, Mudypoz and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

People get on autopilot. We are all so busy and our brains are overloaded. Often, the story I read is that the one person usually takes the baby to the daycare. Then the other needs to take them one day and on the way, they turn to go to work because their brain is already there (at 7:30 this morning my brain was at work on the drive in. I mentally redid a plumbing design for 3 restrooms and a janitors closet). So they turn and the baby is sleeping in the back, never making a sound, park the car and off they go.

In the 1990s, we didn't have cell phones and computers speeding up our lives to the point that a human brain can't function. Look up that. Some pretty interesting stuff out there on that.

I almost drove off for training one morning with my dog sitting on the porch because someone changed the plot on me and my brain fell out. My friend was like "uhhhh...you are missing something" We need some fail safes to stop this. My worst nightmare is leaving my dogs in the car because they don't make a sound. I can't imagine what parents experience when they do this.

Last edited by Jax08; 05-30-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page