Good Tip.....Really ??? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:32 PM
Crowned Member

Oddly the things I forget. lose and leave behind are my purse, wallet and phone. Cannot count the number of times I have had to go back and get them. My poor phone has been left about everywhere and I managed to lock four sets of keys to the Diplomat in it. Not once but twice. I was famous for leaving my house not just unlocked but open, neighbors were forever closing the door for me. And shoes. When I was younger I was horrible for losing shoes. I just liked being barefoot and would slip my shoes off and forget them.
But I never forgot the kids or the dogs. I am not conceited enough to swear it couldn't happen, I just can't foresee the circumstance where it would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Elite Member

As a diligent, caring, loving, responsible parent and dog owner, I'd love to be able to say, "I'd never forget a child or leave my dog in the car", except over the decades, I've done both. (Only once!) Neither child or dog were injured or harmed, but it could so easily have turned out terribly, horribly wrong. We're all human, we're all fallible. Brain farts happen.
selzer and RLRKAPLAN like this.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:55 PM

I usually just lurk on these forums, but this time I thought I'd add my story.

As another member commented, I too have a disabled child. He was tantruming badly when we got home one day, several years ago. Rainbow, our then 3 yo GSD was with us in the van. Normally I grab the leash, let Rainbow out of her crate, then grab my son out of his seat, grab Rainbow's leash and head in.

This time I was focused on dealing with the head banging, flailing and generally difficult behaviors so I told Rainbow to stay, left her sitting in the van, out of her crate with the side door open, planning to come get her as soon as I got my son inside.

Needless to say, I ended up forgetting about her and a good hour later thought to myself, where's the dog? Suddenly realizing my mistake, I bolted outside expecting to be on a dog hunt, but there was my good girl, calmly watching the world go by exactly where I left her.

It can happen to anyone 😉
Nigel, RLRKAPLAN and CometDog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:59 AM

It sometimes seems I’m destined to make individual trips for everything I need. You get distracted. I’m sure there are living parents who live with the memory of forgetting their child was in the back seat. Can you imagine the horrible guilt they live with? I use a trick to help me remember. I’ll set something in an unusual place. While I’ll out running errands I’m aware of this object. Sooooo, use anything you need to avoid killing your child or dog!

Can I get an Amen?
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Sabit’s Mom, I enjoy reading your posts. You’ve got lots of love for these dogs but you’re a loose cannon I think. I mean that very complimentary... not real sure what it means even but you are very active and I enjoy reading your stories.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

So far I have not forgotten a dog. I have driven with my purse on the back bumper of the truck, I have left my purse in a shopping cart in a parking lot (I was distracted because a friend was with me.) I have driven in to work when I meant to go to the barn. I have driven in to work on a holiday. I have hurried back from vacation (and got a speeding ticket for that hurry) to learn that Monday was a holiday... Until the fancy keys became standard, I had a minimum of three sets of keys at a time because they frequently wondered about the house. I have backed over a water dish, drug a long line from the passenger side door, backed over a training collar - all when leaving training. And then there were the frequent emails to people closer to the trainng field - "would you check to see if I left ---- ?" I'm a bit like the Peanuts character Pig Pen. Bits fall off and get left behind.
selzer and Sabis mom like this.
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:34 PM

Lmao
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

The only time I forgot dogs was when I was about one mile from home on my way to race training and had not loaded up the Whippets.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page