Walmart Enters the Veterinary Market - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

I think these quick no-frills vet clinics are probably the pet evolution of what's happening with CVS Minute Clinics and similar places for humans that are staffed by nurse practitioners who do a limited range of basic things.

We will likely see tele-vet-medicine apps popping up too if state vet boards allow it, as that's now already happening for human medicine: apps that let you video-chat with a random board-certified, on-call doctor to get a diagnosis and RX sent to your preferred pharmacy, without going in person into a clinic...I just got notice that my insurance now has added one of these tele-medicine apps as a "feature" and will cover the tele-consultations as "in network" now -- and while I wouldn't want it as a replacement for regular in-person visits, I *can* imagine using it while traveling if I got sick....maybe.

All this stuff is supposed to increase access. I'm not at all convinced that there's not a loss of quality with the loss of long-term relationships with a care provider, but with many people who really love their pets struggling to provide for basic care, access has to be prioritized IMHO. It means more pets get seen, get HW tested, and kept up to date on cheap prevention, and fewer pets die of preventable diseases.

FYI, the clinics aren't Walmart corporate enterprises. They're a separate corporate entity called VetIQ that seems to be partnering/renting space in stores. VetIQ is owned by PetIQ (publicly traded: PETQ), which also makes a bunch of RX and OTC generic/private label stuff (like Advecta, the generic for Bayer's K9 Advantix -- and the VetWorks pill pockets sold at Costco).

It looks like they're staffed with contract vets:
https://vetiqpetcare.com/join-our-team/
I would be that it's going to be a high-turnover gig that employs newly minted vets who are cheap to hire, with cookie-cutter-style corporate-mandated practice techniques (identical vaccine recs, little personalization, etc.). Standardization keeps things cheap (but it's not all that conducive to developing the subtle intuition that makes great vets so extraordinary).
Shane'sDad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Interesting.... I kinda wish I had access to a handful of veterinary students to ask if there's a real level of attraction to a branch of the profession that requires less emotional investment.

Clock in, vax a lot of puppies, run the same HW test, dispense basic meds, shake a lot of hands, refer the difficult stuff elsewhere, clock out, go home totally mentally checked out.

Unlike all of the emotion, troubleshooting, and after-hours support that our favorite doctors pour into our dogs.... and us.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:10 PM

The article states millennial dog owners... spend up to $1,285 a year on their furry friends/? I certainly am no millennial, I'm a baby boomer, and I spend that much in one month on my animals (3 GSDs, 3 Cats, 2 Horses & 3 Chickens)! A little over a hundred dollars a month is peanuts!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:09 PM
Elite Member

I wouldn't be surprised if those Walmarts also expanded their pet department section if it already hasn't done so with the clinics that are already in place.

I think that corporate saw and had the ability to provide just another convenience to their targeted consumers and like their super stores are the first to capitalize on it. It was a very strange feeling to walk into a department store and walk down a fruit and veg isle when that first came about and then how quickly the others followed, i.e. Target to a lesser extent.

I hope those clinics do not offer in store access as I see it as just enabling owners to assume their pets are allowed in the main store.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Interesting.... I kinda wish I had access to a handful of veterinary students to ask if there's a real level of attraction to a branch of the profession that requires less emotional investment.

Clock in, vax a lot of puppies, run the same HW test, dispense basic meds, shake a lot of hands, refer the difficult stuff elsewhere, clock out, go home totally mentally checked out.

Unlike all of the emotion, troubleshooting, and after-hours support that our favorite doctors pour into our dogs.... and us.
Ask and ye shall receive. One of my friends is in vet school right now. I asked her and her friends to chime in.

"So one of my friends here really wants to work for banfield which is a vet clinic associated with either pet co or pet smart because of that reason. He doesn’t want to have to deal with emergencies or anything else like that and would more prefer to work with a set schedule.

It’s all about the balance of personal and work life that is so appealing. Some of us however are not as into the basic type stuff, that is very important, don't get me wrong, but we crave that adrenaline rush you get when decisions need to be made quickly and treatments started now. Also, having the ability to see more than one or even ten species is what drives some students to not only go mixed animal but to own their own vet practice."
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 PM

If you are on a budget, or support less income folks the mobile clinics are paramount. Better than nothing right? I love seeing affordable options, people might say otherwise but there are great homes out there with people that otherwise can’t afford “proper” vet care that love their pets to death.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
Ask and ye shall receive. One of my friends is in vet school right now. I asked her and her friends to chime in.

"So one of my friends here really wants to work for banfield which is a vet clinic associated with either pet co or pet smart because of that reason. He doesn’t want to have to deal with emergencies or anything else like that and would more prefer to work with a set schedule.

It’s all about the balance of personal and work life that is so appealing. Some of us however are not as into the basic type stuff, that is very important, don't get me wrong, but we crave that adrenaline rush you get when decisions need to be made quickly and treatments started now. Also, having the ability to see more than one or even ten species is what drives some students to not only go mixed animal but to own their own vet practice."
Perfect timing. And that is right in line with my suspicions.... thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page