Animal Cruelty a Reliable Indicator of Criminality - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Animal Cruelty a Reliable Indicator of Criminality

Very interesting article, but gave me cold chills...

Animal cruelty is a reliable predictor of criminality — which is why the FBI is taking it more seriously
criminality-which-is-why-the-fbi-is-taking-it-more-seriously/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

I didn't read the article but the correlation has been widely known for a long time. All serial killers started with animals.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Yes, I was aware of it, too. But this article stated some facts I did not know. It said that the FBI has made animal cruelty a Group A felony which puts it on a par with homicide, arson and assault. I think the reason for this is that people who commit acts of animal cruelty are also many times wanted or guilty of other crimes against people.

It said that non-psychopathic criminals do not commit any more acts of animal cruelty that the non-criminal population but that most animal cruelty is committed by psychopaths. Not all, or even most psychopaths/sociopaths are criminals. The two outstanding characteristics are a lack of conscience and a lack of empathy. It is thought that 1 in every 25 people is a sociopath and so probably most of us have come into contact with one or two in our lives.

Another thing the article mentioned is that there is still scant protection for animals used in laboratory testing. The only stipulation is that anesthesia must be used in painful experiments but even that only applies to dogs, cats, and primates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

That law goes in effect in 2016. It's about time. There is a high correlation between animal abuse and many violent crimes.

Yes, I understand the traits of a psychopath and a sociopath. And there are many different 'levels' within that category

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know if batterers are considered sociopaths or not, but I hope that someday they truly treat abusing someone's animal specifically to hurt them as an assault on the owner, especially when fathers and step fathers do it to their children. I think that this can cause some separation in kids' minds where they learn never to become attached to anything because it will be used against them.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

A very successful Florida prosecutor who's known as one of the best animal cruelty prosecutors in the country told me that his experience has shown that if an animal is being abused chances are sky-high that a woman or child is also being abused in the same home.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Knighted Member

Not surprising.

We had a local 6 year old foster child beaten to death by another 10 year old one almost two years ago. Turns out the 10 year old had killed before, a pregnant dog. It will only be a matter of time before he kills again.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 12:37 AM
Knighted Member

I watched a program where a whole family was being interviewed about the step-father who had uncontrolable anger issues but they were all saying well he just takes it out on the dog. I wanted to scream," You stand by and let him beat the dog instead of you? You blanky-blanks." It's ok as long as he doesn't hit you to beat the poor dog?
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

10-Year-Old To Be Charged With Dog Beating Death « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:59 PM

Sociopaths are some scary s***

There are two acquaintances of mine that I KNOW are sociopaths - of course there are really plenty of others, but two that I know of. One was the more impulsive, reckless kind. His goal was to die fleeing from police on his motorcycle. He achieved it at age 21. As a young teen he used to try to do...inappropriate things withe the family's female dog.

The other one I know is the more manipulative kind, who does not get into actual trouble with the law, but who gets his jollies by lying and orchestrating situations that end up really messing with people, ruining relationships, etc etc. He talks a lot about his dog and seems to really care for her, but I can't help but wonder about it. I thought maybe it's just having someone/thing that will so unerringly do whatever you train it/tell it to do that is the draw?

A book I read recently mentioned a study where sociopaths asked to think about words such as "love" and "friendship" activated the same parts of their brains used to figure out math problems and such, versus a totally different part of the brain activated in empaths (aka non-sociopaths) when thinking about such terms pertaining to emotion and relationships with other living creatures.

~Jessica~

Maya (Peakes Brook Night Prowler) - female ASL GSD born 12/2/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page