Crowned Member

Hearts go out to puppy dragged by car - Western NY

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...119.html?imw=Y

Hearts go out to puppy dragged by car

Lockport torture case under investigation

By Nancy Fischer
News Niagara Reporter
Updated: August 11, 2009, 9:46 PM

LOCKPORT — Linda Tilton still could smell the burning skin Monday on the cocker spaniel that had been dragged by its leash behind a car over the weekend.

"I'm so disheartened by this; I spent my weekend crying," Tilton told The Buffalo News. "[The puppy] is all stapled and stitched. I'll do anything to catch these people. It's so sad that anyone would do this.

"We're going to call [the puppy] Walker, in hopes that some day he can walk again."

Tilton, a manager, was working at the K&K Food Mart on Lake Avenue at about noon Saturday when Martin Clough of Gasport, a customer, noticed a gray car dragging the puppy. Clough ran to the vehicle and got the driver to stop.

"He was hysterical," Tilton recalled of Clough.

After stopping the car, the teenage girl who was driving got out and walked to the back. A passenger, a teenage boy, followed. Both then got back into the car, drove around to back of the store, opened the trunk, released the leash and drove east down Old Niagara Road, Clough told deputies.

Another witness saw part of an out-of-state registration taped to the back of the vehicle. Clough put the dog in his vehicle and called 911.

Niagara County sheriff's investigators are reviewing video from the store. Sheriff James R. Voutour said Monday that deputies have an idea about the owner of the car and planned to conduct interviews, although no arrests had been made as of Monday night.

The puppy was eating well and trying to walk Monday, but Gina Browning of the SPCA Serving Erie County said caretakers were trying to keep him in a cage and resting.

A veterinarian for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals remained concerned about swelling on a leg of the dog, which still has open wounds that go right to some of its bones, with nothing to stitch, Browning said.

"Some wounds are even too graphic to show on our Web site, and he's still touch and go," she said. "He's not out of the woods yet."

Clough, Tilton and others worked Saturday to save the dog. Tilton said she wrapped the puppy in a blanket and drove to the Wright's Corners Animal Care Center, about a mile away, but it was closed. She then stopped and got her mother, Maureen Sieteski, and they headed to the Buffalo Veterinary Emergency Clinic.

"They were wonderful, and they took him into surgery right away," Tilton said. She said the doctors were horrified by the savagery. The dog's chest had been burned to the bone; the sternum was sticking out. "It looked like they had let the dog bounce along the road," she said. "Even part of his nose was ripped up. The only part not torn up was his head." The dog's feet and legs were the most severely injured. The pads on all four feet were ripped off. Parts of the dog's skin were damaged so severely that doctors were unable to repair the injuries and must wait and hope the skin grows back, Tilton said.

Browning said she hoped this had all been an accident.

"If there was intent," she said, "then this is monstrous."

The SPCA agreed to help nurse the puppy back to health. It also is helping Tilton raise money to pay for the puppy's medical costs incurred at the emergency clinic.

Tilton said she gave the clinic $1,500 of her own money the first night alone.

Donations can be made online at yourspca.org, in person at the SPCA or by mailing a check to the agency at 205 Ensminger Road, Tonawanda, NY 14150. Checks for Tilton should be made to the "Yelp For Help" fund and the memo line should specify "Lockport puppy." Browning said treatment has cost about $3,200. If the puppy turns out to be a stray, she said, the SPCA will let Tilton adopt Walker for free. But, she said, he may need more surgery. "I have another dog," Tilton said, "an 8-year-old terrier-beagle mix named Chloe who will love this dog."

e-mail: [email protected]

Darcy E. Drons
Intake Coordinator/Shelter Liaison
<span style="color: red">Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue Inc. ("BDBH")</span>
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(work in progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to sunfluer
Re: Hearts go out to puppy dragged by car - Western NY

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I have such a hard time with these horrific stories of the inhumanity some people have toward innocent animals. As someone mentioned in the article comments, this is what serial killers do before moving on to people.

Tragic.</span>

Barbara

DOG spelled backwards is GOD - no small wonder dogs are humans best friend.

Snickers aka Buddy Boy, (Lab)
5/97 - 7/10/09
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

I hope the car and all it's occupants who were involved in this, go off the road, crash into a tree and burst into flames enduring a slow painful death, I hate them and there is absolutely no excuse for scum like this.

INTCH, U-GRCH V Alta-Tollhaus Gavin schH3, UWP, KKL1a, OFA EXCELLENT, DM-Clear
MHDW ( Most Handsome Dog In World)

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

larhage perhaps you don't realize that you are only adding to the hatred, pain, and negative energy that currently seems to be overwhelming society. i am not saying that your feelings are not justified, just that hatred and pain wishing and negative energy are all the same bad energy, no matter the motivation of their origination.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

I hope they at least find these kids and they are charged and pay for what they have done to this poor pup. It's sickening the cruelty that people have in them, to do that to a living, breathing creature.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Crowned Member

i do too kendra, and yes it is.

more than anything else i hope the puppy is okay.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

I hope they give updates on the pup and I hope he gets better.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

More details are here: http://www.yourspca.org/site/News2?p...rticle&id=6633

Updates are here: http://www.yourspca.org/site/News2?p...rticle&id=6635

Quote:
Quote:Undoubtedly sensing that he has stolen the hearts of animal-lovers all over the USA, Walker, the puppy dragged behind a vehicle last weekend in Niagara County and recovering at the SPCA Serving Erie County, is making a remarkable comeback.

When Walker was first treated for severe injuries at the Greater Buffalo Veterinary Services animal emergency clinic last weekend, August 8 & 9, and transferred to the care of the SPCA on Monday morning, August 10, nobody was certain he would survive his trauma. After one week of fluids, rotating bandages and treatments on various parts of his body covered with open wounds, treatments for exposed bones and torn pads on Walker's paws, several rotating pain patch applications and rounds of antibiotics, and plenty of TLC, Walker seems to have turned a corner. This afternoon, he walked outside with great enthusiasm, tried running, is expressing curiosity in other animals, solicits a great deal of attention from people, and is eating voraciously.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

This is really [insert several banned words here] sick. I'm so glad the pup is walking again and acting like a puppy still.

Also hope this girl and her boyfriend have a lovely time with their community service - wouldn't it be a perfect world if they had to lick dog crap off the sidewalk with their tongues for the next 10 years.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE
Re: Hearts go out to puppy dragged by car - Wester

Quote:
Originally Posted By: katielizlarhage perhaps you don't realize that you are only adding to the hatred, pain, and negative energy that currently seems to be overwhelming society. i am not saying that your feelings are not justified, just that hatred and pain wishing and negative energy are all the same bad energy, no matter the motivation of their origination.

Yeah your right, but guess what, unfortunately there is evil in this world just as there is good, statistics don't lie, this scum if far more likely to torture another dog or other innocent creature than they are to become pillars of society, no matter what I think or feel for them, so yeah, I hope they get wiped off the face of the earth, THAT would serve
society better.

INTCH, U-GRCH V Alta-Tollhaus Gavin schH3, UWP, KKL1a, OFA EXCELLENT, DM-Clear
MHDW ( Most Handsome Dog In World)

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page