Nikon - first attempt, critique and stack tips plz - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Nikon - first attempt, critique and stack tips plz

OK, my first "real" attempt stacking Nikon (or any dog). Please critique him and give me any stacking tips (or tips to get him used to other people stacking him). He is damp in the pic, if it matters. I don't have a real stacking/grooming table so I used the coffee table, hope that's OK. Tried to get a non distracting background but now I see his head is poking past the curtain, oops! I tried lifting him up by his chest and setting him down, then sliding one foot under and sliding the other back, hope that's right. I watched a handling seminar from a top German handler but he was doing more agreeable adults, not puppies!

Not sure which stack is best

Head shot from earlier

Outtakes, lol

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Nikon - first attempt, critique and stack tips plz

not bad for the first time, stacking can be hard!

nice colors, looks to have a nice topline, love the ears!!! overall nice structure and nice looking pup!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Knighted Member

He is such a good looker! I think you did a really good job stacking him. Puppies are hard, since they are such wiggle worms, but he looks steady. I like the second picture the best. His front legs seems straighter in that shot (to me).
It has been many, many years since I have done any showing. However, if I remember correctly, when setting the front leg you need to grasp higher up the leg (at the elbow) and kind of guide the whole leg and most especially the foot into the correct position.
I am sorry! I wish I could explain that better! But it has been 25 years since I have been in a conformation ring.
I think his hind end looks good. You have his inside hind leg at a good angle, without any extra stretch. If I remember that part correctly, that inside hind leg should have a straight line from the hock to the ground?
Anyway, good job!
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 11:20 PM

The 3rd picture from the top is perfect. Outline is perfect. Excellent croup especially in such a young puppy. He is GORGEOUS! You have a really nice puppy!!!

Julie Richards-Mostosky
Alta-Tollhaus German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Crowned Member

I think the stack pic the third one down looks very nice. Nice bone, good color, good pigmentation, nice dark eye.

Now the one I really like is this one,

Poor puuper is so abused by his momma, but still gives her kisses

Here ia a post by Andrew about stacking.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post791103

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:19 PM

I am by no means an expert stacker with my own dog but looking at other good examples, I think you need to get Nikon's front feet a little closer together and facing forward. How you stack Nikon is how I stack Jack (lift chest to get feet even, slide foot forward and pull leg back). I think Nikon's stack looks great here, I'm not sure how these forums feel about American show lines but I like their stacks better (more exaggerated).

This is just my personal opinion so don't take it to heart (plus as I've said before I tend to like how the American show stack looks) but if you want him to look a little longer then you can kind of "work" his limbs out, I don't know how to explain it, but bend the leg that is moved inward a few times so he loosens it up, then set it down, and do the same with his back leg and pull it a little farther back. Also get his front legs a little more under him

I think these pictures are great.. You also got them right at his level so they look even better. I just can't get over how beautiful Nikon is!! Great color great structure.. He looks very square and proportionate.. he is such a great looking puppy! That's my amateur opinion

P.S. I forgot to add that when I do stacking with Jack I do it as a "stay" exercise, sometimes I stroke very slowly down his back to give the exercise a calming feeling also so he knows he's doing what he's supposed to be. Then when I release him he wants to play big time.. ahahha

*|*\\**//*|
*|**\v/***|
*} * **{
*}* c*** \
*/ * ***}\

Jack - 1.5 year old GSD! :-)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks raggingbull. He is German show line and will be doing German shows so a more moderate stack/look. I did think perhaps the front was not right. He kept leaning back like he wanted to sit out of the stack. I wish I had a remote for the camera so I could snap the pic and DH could call him from the front. We'll have to practice so he gets used to it. Luckily the handler will stack him for show so I don't have to be perfect I hope!

Of course as soon as we were done he heard a noise and did a nice free stack!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 PM

Hahah they always do the best ones when you don't have the camera ready... I thought he looked like German show, he is a beautiful dog you should be very proud of him! I think this was a great first time, even if you do it as little as I do (I stack Jack maybe once or twice a week and he used to try to sit at first too) they will learn quickly; they're German shepherds!

*|*\\**//*|
*|**\v/***|
*} * **{
*}* c*** \
*/ * ***}\

Jack - 1.5 year old GSD! :-)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How do you reward the stack? I let him play for a while, then gave him a bath so I figured he would be really tired. I tried using treats, but he just got really hyper and obsessed about getting the treat so that was a failure. The stacks in the photos involved a lot of physical manipulation, puppy groaning and wiggling. I don't want him to hate it. Maybe I really should not do it until I have someone to call him?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

Lies, just a thought here, set up a treat stand out of camera range at the right height for Nikon. That might get him leaning more forward instead of back, which is what you want.

Did you read the link the link I posted. When I was trying to learn to stack, I had more success on the front, by lifting the pup up a little and letting it drop. Most pups will land, really close to what you need for the stack, then just a quick touch up and you have the front.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page