New to the site - Quick ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

New to the site - Quick ?

Hi

I am new to German Shepherds and we have just rescued one from the pound. He is around 4 months old we think! We just wanted to know if he looks like he is mixed with any other breed. Also how old do you think he may be? He just lost another puppy tooth the other day. I think he has lost most of them now. He is still squatting to pee. And he does seem to show some "interest" in our female dog, but usually just a half-hearted attempt.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

Re: New to the site - Quick ?

he looks like a purebred long haired GSD to me. If he has lost most of his baby teeth already than I would think he would be more like 5.5-6 months old.
He is adorable!!

BTW, to the board.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:16 PM

I'm not expert enough on the breed to have an opinion on P/B or mix, but he sure is cute. Also the tennis shoes in the picture are in one piece so I guess he is well behaved too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

so far, he has only eaten one flip-flop! (: he is also surprisingly docile, for the most part. he whines when the cats hiss at him! that's another reason we thought he might be mixed with a breed that is a little more temperate than the GS... thx 4 the quick replies!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

some gsd's do not like cats. others will chase and chase. the ones that chase have a higher prey drive. By the sounds of it your guy has a low prey drive but that can change over time will. Can't wait to see more pics of him!!! What is his name?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:34 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Yep, looks like a fuzzy. I have two longcoats myself, and recognize the extra hair around the ears.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Knighted Member

I would think that he is about 5-5.5 months old, based on him loosing his puppy teeth.
Was he neutered at the shelter you adopted him from? I think he is a little too young to show "interest" in your other dog based on her gender. Mounting can often be about dominance and social order, rather than sexual, if that is the "interest" you have seen him show her! The worst "humper" I have ever seen was a female dog.
He sure looks purebred to me. One of my two GSD guys is wonderful with our cats, even tiny foster kittens. But one of my other dogs, a Pug, is **** on wheels with the cats. Teach your puppy from day one what is acceptable, respectful behavior with the cats and he should be fine with them. Don't encourage him to stand up for himself at this point, because it might get out of hand when he is bigger and older.
He might squat to pee for years. My almost 5 year old GSD still squats most of the time.
What plans do you have for training? I so miss having a young puppy in the house to work with! Your guy is at a great age! I envy you all the fun!
Sheilah
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 PM

What a cutie pie! He looks pure to me, not like I am an expert though. Love those ears!

Mom to:
3 human children and DH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 animal children
Samantha (GSD)- rescued by our family on June 5, 2008
Boe (GSD) - adopted on March 15, 2009
Cotton (cat)
Jixie (cat)
Peanut (cat)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

His name is Enzo. So far I have been working with him on a few things. He can do "sit" and "down," even without a treat. He is good about being on the leash and not pulling me. He is also good about going potty outside, but only if I take him out. So far, if I don't happen to take him in time, he makes no effort to let me know that he needs to go out.

Our other dog, a 2+ year old Boxer female, is keeping him in line pretty well. He imitates her behavior when they go outside, etc. He has been showing a little dominance with things like taking her bone from her! I think you are right- sit, stay- that he only humped Sally because he was showing off (: He wasn't fixed when we got him. He has an appt to get snipped on Aug 25.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Elite Member

If it's possible can you wait longer to get him neutered? As a maturing male, neuturing him now may stunt his growth. If your female is spayed, I'd wait until he was 1.5 to 2 years old if you can.

Zeus "Zeusy" - GSD 2 year old DOB 3-19-08
Baby - Cat 5 years old
Rhett - Cat 4 years old

Max, Champ, and Apollo waiting at the bridge.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page