Crit Me, please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy
Crit Me, please

Okay, I know she's not a GSD (or any recognizeable breed or mix thereof) and I have no problem if this thread is deleted for that reason. But I'm trying to learn how to compare standing structure to how the dog moves. And since it's easiest to compare with a dog you own (versus photos online), I present Risa.

Natural stack (GSD-style):

Posed stack (sorry it's dark):

Flying trot:

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:36 AM

Re: Crit Me, please

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoOkay, I know she's not a GSD (or any recognizeable breed or mix thereof)
i'm not knowledgeable enough to critique, but my best guess as far as breed is a shepherd/pointer.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:17 AM
Crowned Member

Jamie, these are great photos of Ris. I think what I am seeing here is that her build shows a very fast, agile, athletic dog. She has the (hind, at least-- cannot see fore) catfeet seen in pointers, with the deep chest of a pointer or sighthound.. all geared towards fast starts and stops, zigs and zags. She is a turbo-charged, lightly built sprinter of a dog. Yet she is so well-muscled in the rear, with a strong neck, but nothing bulky or wasting any weight and space on her. Her forlegs aren't the pin-legs of a sighthound, she has good muscling-- but she is built to be FAST. This is an agility dog for sure-- and just looking at her, not having met her, I would bet money that she exults in speed, takes joy in running free. Her build makes Grimm look like a lumbering lummox.

Her coat really gleams, by the way-- really obvious that she is a raw-fed dog!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Crowned Member

She has a very malinois-like build. In other words, I'm sure she's one agile and quick little cookie.

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/dogs...ee/495875.html
Case in point, but Ris looks more square,

http://www.cck9.com/dutch/index.8.jpg
Or a very dutch-shepherdy build. In any case, as stated, I'm sure she'll have no agility problems. Have you tried biking with her and noticed the speed at which she shifts from a trot to a gallop?

http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard...ovement_3.html
From what I interpret here about the flying trot and balanced angulation, a dog with good, balanced angulation, front and rear, will maintain a flying trot at higher speeds before switching to a gallop. A dog that is poorly angulated or unbalanced will switch into a gallop at lower speeds. If Ris can maintain a flying trot at high speeds, then she's correctly balanced and angulated for her body.

Do her withers look a little flat or is it just me?

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Thanks guys! She is definately very agile and speedy. This dog LOVES to run. Nothing makes her happier than an opportunity to run full out and expend some energy. She is a pretty tireless trotter. . .she just spent an hour and a half running the fenceline at a friend's house without much of a break.

I took another picture of her GSD-stacked so you can get a better view of her front assembly. I have the most trouble figuring out the shoulder-angles and withers.

She was listed as a Border collie mix at the shelter though I don't know if that was their guess or what her previous owners told them. I don't think she's a GSD/Pointer mix because she's not quite large enough. She's only 43 lbs and 22 inches at the withers.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoI don't think she's a GSD/Pointer mix because she's not quite large enough. She's only 43 lbs and 22 inches at the withers.
FINE THEN, a GSD/pointer/chihuahua

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

How about Boxer/Border Collie??
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

Pointer x Dutch shepherd.. and that's my final answer!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Master Member

Murphy I recognize Lake Elmo in the second pic! We used to go swimming, fishing and pick up the mussels there when I was younger! I grew up in Billings and later we moved to Worden.
My guess for Risa Shepherd/Border Collie. She really does have a very shiny coat!

Missing Alex
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ris always seems to initiate the 'guess the breed' game. I wish there were a way for me to know for certain what she is. So many people want to know (but me most of all).

But no critiques on her structure? *pouts* I know she's got a steep upper arm and a really steep croup. How does that effect her movement? Her reach?

Yep, that is Lake Elmo, MTAussie! It's a great place to go for a walk and Risa likes to go swimming there. Even though she's only been in the water 3 times. I'm hoping to get her out there again this year more frequently to get some good exercise without worry of overheating.

~Jamie~

(Risa's Blog)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page