Please critique Safir at 20 1/2 months - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Please critique Safir at 20 1/2 months

Hello, this is the 2nd time I post Safir's pictures here, last time was about 7-8 months ago, but didn't receive many comments on his conformation. He is neutered, so will not be showed, just for us to know How about the stacking? We've been working on that too. I appreciate any comments...

Dafir vom Tal der Schatten (aka SAFIR)- 2 year old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to butterfingers
Re: Please critique Safir at 20 1/2 months

I don't have anything technical to offer, but I would like to say that I LOVE Safir's face! He is absolutely gorgeous!!

Marti
The Kitties: Jake, 9, and Zoe, 2
The Dogs: Charley the Cocker Spaniel, 4, Gunner the GSD, 1, and Delilah, the GSD, 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Marti!

No one else wants to comment on his conformation? Hmm...I wonder why.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Qyn
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MIHANo one else wants to comment on his conformation? Hmm...I wonder why.....
He's a beautiful dog and the stacking and photos you have provided on different surfaces will allow those more knowledgeable to give you a better critique. .............. Just keep in mind that many people are taken up with other activities at this time of year and are not immediately available to comment. Little response should not be taken as a negative critique. Just bump your post at a later time.

All the best.

GSD - Quynne, born 29 sept 2004
MalteseXPoodle - Buddy, adopted Jan 2004 - RIP 14 May, 2009 9-11yo
Galah - Birdie-girl - adopted in 1999 when she was approx 12yo
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

His Stack is good. Pigment excellent. I love his head.
He is a bit too German looking for my tastes, but that's just me.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

I think his pigment could be better personally. Needs more of a mask. There is much too much fading going on in the breed presently, and I'm seeing dogs that resemble oddly temperamented Goldens as opposed to properly pigmented shepherds.

That said, his pigment is still better than lots of GSDs I see these days (the blankets and bi colors don't count...most of the fading we see is in the saddled dogs).

I think his head is a bit bitchy, and could be broader through the muzzle.

Color is gorgeous, love, love, LOVE his bone, and his angulation front and rear is wonderful. Very balanced. Wither is a bit flat, croup short and steep. I'd actually like to see a slightly higher tail set (how often do you hear that xD).

Ear set is nice, nice short hocks. Tuck up is nice, but slightly over exaggerated IMO.

He's a handsome bugger! Reminds me a lot of my Strauss actually, lol.

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Qyn
Quote:
Originally Posted By: MIHANo one else wants to comment on his conformation? Hmm...I wonder why.....
Just keep in mind that many people are taken up with other activities at this time of year and are not immediately available to comment. Little response should not be taken as a negative critique. Just bump your post at a later time.

All the best.
Sorry for my unpatience, I know everyone is busy ... I was just excited to get any technical comment on his conformation....
which brings me to ....
Xeph, thank you so much for your very detailed comment. Safir used to have a nice dark mask, than it kept fading. Here are some older headshots:

At 7.5 months:

At 10 months:

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph

I feel your pain...Strauss had the same issue.

Dark, dark, dark as a youngster, and as he got older, it faded. Ah well, I still love my faded boy. They've both still got a lot more black than quite a few out there these days!

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Very masculine male with excellent bone and pigment. His color is OK, but I would like to see more mask and a blacker saddle without the grizzling. Very good rear angulation, sufficient front angulation. His upper arm is quite short and his shoulder very upright. He is very compact. Ok withers flowing nicely into his topline. His croup should be longer and is somewhat steep. It looks like he has pretty nice feet, but he stands east/west (splayed) in front.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Lisa. All this terms are new to me so, I'm going back and forth from the critique to the pictures and I'm learning.
We live in a very hot climate so his coat is very thin, you can see the grey undercoat through. It's almost as he's always shedding. I noticed that in the few cooler months we have here, his coat is thicker and darker, more beautiful.
I am just curious, if he wasn't neutered, could he been shown? Would he have a chance?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page