Just curious of my non papered gsd. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Just curious of my non papered gsd.

So I love my boy and don't care that he's not papered. He's been amazing and with a perfect temperament and is just so confident. He also does amazing with my disabled sister whom i might make him a service dog for having such perfect natural responses to her and his ability to train so amazingly. Loves other dogs, cats, chickens, and people. He's also the reason we still have our house as he alerted to a fire that started to melt off the side of a truck and was staring to eat at our house. Even followed me as i ran towards the truck to move it just in the nick of time. Also seems to have natural herding instincts.

That being said, as I'm not yet an expert on the breed, (hopefully one day) and he has no papers I'm wondering how he compares to others who are well bred. A video of him playing a couple months back is on the link below from my Google drive... I can post a new one when it stops raining. The black gsd IS AKC registered.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11qU...w?usp=drivesdk

Attachment 526471Just curious of my non papered gsd.-screenshot_20191020-140233_gallery_1571602263824.jpgName:  Screenshot_20191020-144313_Video Player_1571602339559.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  112.7 KBName:  Screenshot_20191020-141219_Gallery_1571602350318.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  359.3 KBName:  Screenshot_20191020-161329_Gallery_1571602423782.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  364.3 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

Registered dogs are not all "we'll bred", and likewise unregistered dogs are not all poorly bred, puppy mill dogs! But the registration papers do give you alot of insight that you don't have without them! Sounds to me like you got lucky, but healthwise, only time - or an embark DNA test - will tell! He is a handsome dog!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member

The dog is all you can want. He's a family member, has shown his intelligence in several ways. That he doesn't have papers doesn't make him better or worse than another dog. Buying a dog without papers is much more of a crap shoot. Breeding a dog without papers is plain wrong. But enjoying and loving and caring for a dog with or without papers is what we do.

As a breeder, I have folks who tell me they don't want to breed, and they don't want to show, so they don't want the papers, so they want me to sell the dog to them for cheaper because no papers. Well, I am going to say to the next person that asks me to do this, "Ok, I'll give you a discount. $2." That is what it costs to provide your dog with papers, over and above providing the rest of litter with papers. That is the difference in cost between a dog with papers and a dog without papers that could have papers.

But getting a dog from a shelter or rescue that appears to be purebred, but has no papers, that's fine. Don't breed the dog. But everything else do, and do 100%.
Aly and wolfy dog like this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

So, he actually isn't a rescue. I bought him from a byb, the mother was not papered but the father was. I was so impressed by him I became a GSD lover and got another one who requires more training than he and actually has picked up a lot of good behaviors as she needs the socialization that he had naturally out of the box.

It's funny, my breeder was so happy that I registered my black GSD as she said I would surprised how many didn't register. I am figuring that the same happened In Atlas' background.

But what I was wondering is if he fits the breed standard. I may want to get him PAL registered and show him.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Crowned Member

Well, to get him PAL registered, he has to be neutered. If neutered, he cannot be shown in conformation. Showing in conformation is not a beauty contest, it is a contest to how near a dog meets the standard for the purpose of passing on the best genes. Altered dogs are not eligible.

But you can show in obedience, rally, herding trials, and all kinds of other things. Frankly, he is not what is going in either the AKC ring or the SV ring, that doesn't mean he isn't a beautiful dog, it's just not what will go in those rings, specialty or all breed, and there is no point in pursuing it to be disappointed. If you want to show, pick a breed in the middle of the breed popularity, so you have a chance of getting a show prospect, and enough entries to show. Showing GSDs is particularly hard because of their popularity, the mesh of lines, politics. I think one of the mods shows, dog fairies.

Let's put it this way, you don't get a pretty puppy and say, let show it. You start long before that pup is born, getting to know the folks that are showing and finding the breeding you want, paying for the show prospect, starting at eight weeks with setting the pup up and getting it used to handling, berry checks and all that, and all the time letting your breeder guide you while you rub elbows with the other people that show and judge in GSDs. The breeder can help you know what judges to put your dog in the shows. You can become very poor very fast in dogs. Only best of breed and above gets points. Not like in obedience and rally, if your dog does everything to a minimum score at least, it qualifies and you can easily title in three ring appearances. But in the show ring, only Best of Breed gets points, and you need so many points, and two majors, show under at least two judges, maybe more, to get that CH. I think it is something the SV does better. They give each dog a rating, VA, V, SG, G and then the number that they finished in the class. So if your dog finished 3 in excellent select, it would be VA3, but I think that is only the sieger show.

Anyway, getting a PAL and showing in agility or Rally or obedience, herding, freestyle -- so many sports like fly ball, dock diving, herding, nose work, barn hunting. Find what your dog excels at and go for it.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

Blacks are interesting. I always said I wouldn't have one, but I am probably all wet on that. The thing is, to get a pure black, you have to have blacks on both sides, the dam and the sire. And a lot of people who breed blacks like to have six generations of black dogs only in the pedigree. So, you have to wonder if they are making choices more for color than for structure, health, temperament.

But she's right, a lot of people do not bother to register their purebred dogs. This is fine. If you do not want to breed or show, than registration is non-value-added. You can probably look up your dog from the pedigree the breeder provided and paying the 30 bucks or so to register the dog is not necessary to a lot of folks.

Breeding a dog without papers, however they do not have papers is the problem.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

My black is fully registered. I made sure after Atlas as to me it was a shame he isn't registered. After getting him I started doing more research and learned more about it all. I have seen so many German shepherds who were registered and not well bred and read about so many breeding German Shepherds that were aggressive and i realized how lucky i was with Atlas and didn't want top be unlucky the second time.

I do plan on nuetering but I worry about some of the problems that arises from it such as weight problems. I was thinking about spaying my girl when she reaches full maturity. The reason is that although her temperament is good, Atlas is a better prospect for being a service dog.

My girls pedigree is below. Just curious of my non papered gsd.-screenshot_20191020-205552_gallery_1571619371169.jpg
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

She has sables and blacks behind her. I think I like that better than an all black pedigree. A lot of recent imports. You can neuter him, get a PAL with him to compete in AKC events other than conformation, and make him a service dog.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

How would you rate her pedigree? I figured her line would probably be best for pet and not showing.Just curious of my non papered gsd.-screenshot_20191020-223938_gallery_1571625674649.jpgJust curious of my non papered gsd.-20191020_224058_1571625705773.jpg
readaboutdogs and atomic like this.

Last edited by Sandra Heims; 10-20-2019 at 11:42 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra Heims View Post
How would you rate her pedigree? I figured her line would probably be best for pet and not showing.Attachment 526503
I am not adequate at rating her pedigree. I am an amateur or student of West German Showlines. There may be others that can help you with these dogs.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page