Please critique my 3 yo male - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Please critique my 3 yo male

Gunner is 3 years old and weighs 85lbs. I get a lot of comments from people that he is "too skinny" some think he's huge probably since he's tall for s shepherd but not sure his exact height.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Guns.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	517367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Guns2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	517369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Guns3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	517371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Guns5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	517373  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

sorry, I don't know why the pictures came out sideways...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:35 PM
Elite Member

Great looking dog! Nice face. He’s not too skinny.
Gunnertheterrorist likes this.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Great looking dog! Nice face. He’s not too skinny.

Thanks @ausdland I appreciate that, I don't think he's too skinny either but sometime when people mention it, it makes me wonder....I know he's in the standard as far as weight and he eats 4 cups of food a day but he's also very active so that may be why he stays fit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:15 PM
Elite Member

I can't give you a professional critique, but to me he looks like a balanced, handsome, athletic dog. I don't think he looks too thin either, but I find it hard to tell in pictures.
Gunnertheterrorist and das1 like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I downloaded your photo, cropped it and straightened it so we could see it better.

Is he neutered? Flat withers with a slight dip behind his withers. OK topline, good placement of a croup that should be longer. Good angulation front and rear so he looks balanced. I would guess he is a bit restricted in his reach, but balance tends to compensate so a dog will move well enough. Good feet and pasterns. His weight looks good. He does look younger than three which is why I asked if he is neutered. Very nice head.
Attached Images

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I downloaded your photo, cropped it and straightened it so we could see it better.

Is he neutered? Flat withers with a slight dip behind his withers. OK topline, good placement of a croup that should be longer. Good angulation front and rear so he looks balanced. I would guess he is a bit restricted in his reach, but balance tends to compensate so a dog will move well enough. Good feet and pasterns. His weight looks good. He does look younger than three which is why I asked if he is neutered. Very nice head.

Thank you very much for taking your time to respond. Yes he is neutered unfortunately. We neutered him at 5 months at the vets request. This was before I knew any better, now I wish I would have at least waited until he was older if at all.....
lhczth likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM

He's a handsome boy! I think folks are so used to seeing overweight dogs (and cats, for that matter) that when they see them at a healthy weight, they think they're too skinny.

My doberman put on a little pudge in her older years, but when she was young, I'd sometimes have well-meaning people tell me she needed to put on weight, even though she was perfectly fit and healthy.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:31 PM

I second Judy. I have had coworkers tell me my dog looks like she should gain some weight. She is fine, I've seen their dogs, very overweight.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:34 PM
Master Member

I get comments from pet owners that my girl is too skinny all the time. And then I get comments from vets and sport/working dog owners that say she's in incredible shape. I wouldn't really worry about it. Athleticism and what that looks like in dogs isn't well understood by most pet owners.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page