Critique my 4.5 month old winter - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Critique my 4.5 month old winter

Winter is four and half months old male and weighs 44 lb. He is a backyard bred dog and not at all for confirmation shows.
I am just curious about his appearance and major deviations from breed standards, if any.
Be frank and open in giving comments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190107_223602_1547281271538.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	516865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_133958_1547281283912.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	516867  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Few more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190108_084255_1547281349071.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	516869   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190107_081059_1547281369962.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	516871  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 AM
Knighted Member

Other than having an upright shoulder, and lacking in forechest, I don't see a lot to complain about. He has a nice head, good dark pigment, and decent bone. He's not overangulated in the hind legs, the way so many dog are. His conformation makes me think he's mainly of American showline ancestry as his back is quite long and straight, and he doesn't have the red pigment of the German showlines. Also, an upright shoulder is very common in the American lines.

Edit: was one of his parents a long coat? The feathers in his ears usually are only seen in long coated GSDs, but the rest of his coat looks to be stock coat, unless someone trimmed his feet, belly and legs!

Second edit: 4 1/2 months is a difficult time to really assess conformation. A lot of pups are going through a gangly stage, where one part of their body is struggling to catch up with another, so things could change as he matures. Just noticed his front feet are a bit flat. The toes should have more of an arch to them. But as someone once said, if you have to go all the way to a dog's feet to find something wrong with them, it's a pretty good dog!

Last edited by Sunsilver; 01-12-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Other than having an upright shoulder, and lacking in forechest, I don't see a lot to complain about. He has a nice head, good dark pigment, and decent bone. He's not overangulated in the hind legs, the way so many dog are. His conformation makes me think he's mainly of American showline ancestry as his back is quite long and straight, and he doesn't have the red pigment of the German showlines. Also, an upright shoulder is very common in the American lines.

Edit: was one of his parents a long coat? The feathers in his ears usually are only seen in long coated GSDs, but the rest of his coat looks to be stock coat, unless someone trimmed his feet, belly and legs!
Yes, one of his parent was long coat.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post

Second edit: 4 1/2 months is a difficult time to really assess conformation. A lot of pups are going through a gangly stage, where one part of their body is struggling to catch up with another, so things could change as he matures. Just noticed his front feet are a bit flat. The toes should have more of an arch to them. But as someone once said, if you have to go all the way to a dog's feet to find something wrong with them, it's a pretty good dog!
Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page