Need conformation critique explained! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Need conformation critique explained!

Had some people critique my dog just for fun, she's not amazing quality or showline or anything of the sort so wasn't expecting much from the critique haha and not under in delusions of my dogs conformation either, but was hoping to have some of it explained and shown some pictures of "correct" conformation. I just wanna learn what each things mean and how its suppose to look.

I'll post the picture they critiqued and then a few better ones tomorrow, the one I took isn't at the right level and her back leg is cut out so its not a good picture to critique sadly.

I believe the critiquer bred show lines? But I'm not 100% sure, her dogs looked a bit weak in the hocks and flat footed imho, but what do I know... Anyway! Her critique was as such:
Slightly sway back-back is not firm. Incorrect angle of shoulder and lack,of chest...need to,see tge rest of the dog to evaluate the rear

I could see the slight sway back, my girl has absolutely no roaching and is pretty long, but a bit confused on the rest and would like some explanation and pictures of the correct conformation to for reference! thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

First picture was the one critiqued, second was one I forgot I had that I just found. Its at a better angle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28235101_10204124977642205_1447868413419153327_o.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	483889  
Attached Images

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:18 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know much about conformation. She looks nice to me. Not meaning to nit pick, just an observation; I would keep her nails shorter as it can affect the way she places her feet. I can see the difference in my dog's feet after sanding down the nails; her feet are more compact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I don't know much about conformation. She looks nice to me. Not meaning to nit pick, just an observation; I would keep her nails shorter as it can affect the way she places her feet. I can see the difference in my dog's feet after sanding down the nails; her feet are more compact.
Not nit picky at all! I agree, I actually just ran out and bought a new nail trimmer today (I broke my other ). Working on them as we speak
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:11 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Very stretched female with high withers, soft through the back, long through the loin. Good placement of a slightly short croup. Shoulder could use more angulation, but she appears to have a nice length of upper arm so probably has very good reach in movement. Excellent angulation in the rear. With her nails long it is very hard to evaluate her feet. I would like to see darker pigment. Even whites should have black noses where as hers looks more liver/brown.
mnm, Jax08, carmspack and 1 others like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Very stretched female with high withers, soft through the back, long through the loin. Good placement of a slightly short croup. Shoulder could use more angulation, but she appears to have a nice length of upper arm so probably has very good reach in movement. Excellent angulation in the rear. With her nails long it is very hard to evaluate her feet. I would like to see darker pigment. Even whites should have black noses where as hers looks more liver/brown.
Thank you! would you happen to have any pictures of a more correct back and what explanation of what you mean by stretched?

Also she has "snow nose" right now from the cold weather, its nice and dark in the summer

Oh! also tips on better stacking? I'm not great at it and noticed that in the top picture she looks more "sway-back" then in the bottom and thought it might be from the position she was posed in? I know people use various levels of stacking to showcase the best qualities of their dog.

Last edited by Curing; 02-26-2018 at 11:22 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 02:12 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Stretched means she is long through the loin which is the part of the back between where the ribs end and the pelvis begins. Length should be obtained with a good lay back of shoulder and long croup with the back itself and especially the loin being shorter.
Her stack isn't bad. You just have her head lifted too high which is making her topline look worse.
mnm and Curing like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Stretched means she is long through the loin which is the part of the back between where the ribs end and the pelvis begins. Length should be obtained with a good lay back of shoulder and long croup with the back itself and especially the loin being shorter.
Her stack isn't bad. You just have her head lifted too high which is making her topline look worse.
Ah okay, Thank you so much for the explanation!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 04:26 PM
Elite Member

One thing about all white or all black animals is they are all shape. That is what is most noticeable about them. There are no coat colors or markings to distract the eye. The horse I have now is black, he is a black Arabian stallion. I always really loved to see white horses though. I am no judge of dog shape but that is one pretty dog.

Curing likes this.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 02-26-2018 at 04:30 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
One thing about all white or all black animals is they are all shape. That is what is most noticeable about them. There are no coat colors or markings to distract the eye. The horse I have now is black, he is a black Arabian stallion. I always really loved to see white horses though. I am no judge of dog shape but that is one pretty dog.
I agree! Its so easy to pick out the little things on solid animals.

I used to evaluate horses in my youth and always found the solid ones were the easiest to really nit pick everything while the paints and appaloosa's were easy to miss certain flaws.

And thank you! funny enough I always tend to be drawn to the darker colored shepherds like the black sables and solid blacks. But I've always really loved how she looked, just seems so feminine and regal in my opinion. Kind of like a mythical creature lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page