Very Unsual mask? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Very Unsual mask?

Hi guys! first time posting here, I just bought a German shepherd puppy, and wanted to ask for your honest opinion on the appearance of my dog. Meet Milo, full blooded German shepherd, both parents were on site, the mother is a saddle back black and cream, the father is a black and cream with no mask on his face (light cream) I picked him because he stood out from the rest of the litter, most puppies were the traditional black and tan, one was all black and then there was him a bluish black with hints of silver 😍😍 so I didn't hesitate and chose him even though I knew that he didn't look like 99% of GSDs out there. Again, both parents are German shepherd so no, he's not a husky. My question is: have you seen a GSD puppy with a similar mask? Is he going to keep those colors? Or will the black on his face fade and end up with a light face like his dad? Very Unsual mask?-screenshot_20161121-132108.jpg Very Unsual mask?-screenshot_20161121-131939.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 09:37 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi there, your puppy is really cute, but I think something other than GSD got in there.

That would account for the unusual markings.
onyx'girl and Jaesthetic like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

what was the pedigree?

Is this someone who breeds for specialty colours like blue , because I think that pup might be blue - black dilution.

do you have a picture of the sire and dam.

you saw a male and you saw a female. Old saying mother-baby, father?-maybe!

could be because the pup sounds like the description you gave of the adult male on site "the father is a black and cream with no mask on his face (light cream)"

I'm more curious where the solid blacks came from.
Deb and Jaesthetic like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Master Member

Very cute, btu I agree, looks like there is something else in him. A female that is in heat can be bred by multiple males. Did the breeder have any other intact males about? Was there a neighbor with an intact male? Any pictures of the sire and dam?
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

not necessarily something else.

in blues (black dilution) they eyes start off as this pale blue and then chance to light yellow .

"Blue Eyed German Shepherd
As puppies, their eye color may be blue or green. A blue Shepherd puppy's eyes will usually change to amber, light brown or gold by the age of six months or so.

When a dog has light colored eyes, they are often known as "Bird of Prey" eyes. A GSD can have light eyes without having the dilute blue or liver recessive gene."

in entirety Blue German Shepherds, Blue Eyed Puppies and the Breed Standard

some breeders deliberately seek this to produce that haunting wild eyed wolfy look.

not exactly a breeding critera.

the GSD as a herding dog needs to control the sheep within an invisible fence -- they sheep
are to graze calmly.

a wild light eye is unsettling to the sheep - predatory --- in the standard a dark eye is asked for

the mask that you ask about is seen in some older ddr lines -

Carmen

Last edited by carmspack; 11-23-2016 at 10:42 AM.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:49 AM

Kinda looks like a "Shepky" is a mix of a german shepherd and husky not an expert but could be genes of grandparents Very cute puppy btw! I love the colours on the muzzle...white where whiskers are and black where the nose is so cute!
dogfaeries and Jaesthetic like this.

post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:53 AM

My Shikoku has a pattern like that. In the Japanese breeds it is referred to as urajiro.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

Could be he has some blues or panda's behind him. Could be someone jumped the fence. Without knowing more, hard to say. Were the owners of the mom and dad someone who just owned the mom and dad? He's a cute pup. What's his name?
carmspack likes this.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Could be he has some blues or panda's behind him. Could be someone jumped the fence. Without knowing more, hard to say. Were the owners of the mom and dad someone who just owned the mom and dad? He's a cute pup. What's his name?
I wouldn't say any panda cause he doesnt have panda markings and I'd be hesitant on him being even blue. in some pictures he looks diluted but in others he just looks black. its a hard call.

I do think I've seen another shepherd with these colors Her name is Pippa from a rescue in my area, she was Blue and Tan the link below has some pictures of her.
Pippa's Web Page
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Elite Member

Not even taking into consideration that he has blue eyes, the shape of his head, ear set and markings all remind me of a husky puppy.

There's no doubt that he's gorgeous and will grow up to be a stunning dog.
I hope you will keep posting pictures as he grows!
voodoolamb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page