3 month old male pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

3 month old male pup

I apologize in advance if this is not proper, but I thought this photo showed my boy off fairly well (what's more, it's natural!) and even though he is not full GSD but half Doberman I still thought maybe some of you experts could shed some light on his conformation in a workability fashion more so than a breed standard. I will try to update with some trotting photos as well, but may prove difficult as I am alone using a self timer! I do understand that he is still quite young and he will change as he develops, but its all in good fun right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb 034.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	365065  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 02:41 PM

I'm certainly no expert,but he looks so handsome and athletic to me.I've always admired the dobie's physique.Maybe you've got the best of both.
atomic likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 03:47 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Very nice looking pup! I'm hardly an expert, and have many holes in my conformation knowledge, but this is what I think, comparing him to GSDs.

Seem well developed and solid for a young pup - love the intensity that this picture exhudes. Whether this intensity will be a boon or a bust for working ability, it will depend on how well he can focus his energy and still be responsive to direction.

Nice straight back - his rear legs seem to have some of the GSD angulation, but his front is very straight with very straight pasterns.

Hi has nice, round feet, another positive conformational trait in GSDs (as opposed to thin, flat feet). The thickness of his pads, and the way he stands more on his toes rather than his heels should help him to be light on his feet and move smoothly.

But with the unique conformation traits that he has inherited from his varied background, I can't say how it will affect his overall physical movement.

Do you have plans to work or train in sport with him?
atomic likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 PM
msk

Ohhhh ... I love Dobies as well as GSDs and man that's a handsome pup!! Really interesting looking!
atomic likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the comments everyone . I've always thought he was so handsome but I am a biased mama. I don't have plans to train him in schutzhund or IPO but I did want to do "something" with him. I definitely will have him accompany me on day hikes when he is older and more physically mature, but I am not opposed to various dog sports to challenge both of us. He really is a superb pup. Very smart, self assured, he is bold and loves tackling new obstacles. He is quite observant and picks things up quickly. I know everyone does things differently, but for me I have not asked much of anything of him as far as structured training goes. He is a baby. I focus on socialization and manners at this point.

Edited to add that while I "really" don't know much of anything about dog conformation, I am familiar with horses and I would assume the same basic mechanics apply. I see the straight pasterns you are referring to and also see how that could be an issue further down the road. Thank you for pointing it out as I really didn't see it before! Also one thing I did notice is that where he settles on his rear legs its not quite on his paw but the fetlock, could this also be a stress point? You can kind of see it on his left rear.
Castlemaid likes this.

Last edited by atomic; 05-12-2016 at 10:08 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

He definitely has the Dobie front, pasterns and feet.
atomic likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

He sure does have some hooves on him! His paws are far larger than my full grown adult APBT, although the rest of him still needs to catch up . Despite my best efforts, I've discovered movement photos of any quality are just not possible by myself. If he's out with the other dogs, he just wants to play. If I try to get him to trot, he runs and chases after me. Tomorrow I will ask my mother to take photos while I ask him to jog for me, knowing her prowess with the camera I might be better off with the self timer but it worth a shot!

Hopefully with any bit of luck I will be able to update tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bod2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	365577  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 10:08 PM
Crowned Member

He is beautiful!
atomic likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

After a decent delay, I have finally managed to get some movement photos. Not sure if they're of any quality, but he always wants to chase me. Today I took him to the neighbors pool, and well he is not so keen on following me into it so I was able to snap a few.

Also not sure if they are helpful but I have QUITE a bit of loping photos, as that is his preferred speed .

Thank you for the compliment!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pooldogs 028.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	366882   Click image for larger version

Name:	pooldogs 030.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	366890   Click image for larger version

Name:	pooldogs 031.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	366898   Click image for larger version

Name:	pooldogs 051.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	366906  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Hello all, wanted to update this thread. Yes - two and a half years later! This is my guy now, he will be three in February. He is a solid 90 lbs and despite being a big tall dog, he is quite agile and athletic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6C23EA96-0DFF-4338-8226-DB027617FF06.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	514511  
Bramble and tim_s_adams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page