11 month old male(WL) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

11 month old male(WL)

Hey!
Alright, I posted on Facebook's 'Canine breeder body conformation' or whatever it's called, but I never got the informative replies so maybe you guys can help me out? Talk about the pros of his conformation and the faults?

-11 month old male
-75 pounds(last time I checked, might be 77-80 now) and 25 inches at the shoulder

I understand his eyes are too light for the 'breed standard' but he's no herding dog so I don't really care about that, but here are the photos:

http://i.imgur.com/guxQOQw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YABDtf4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l3driMs.jpg

I'll put more photos in the comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Elite Member

I know you aren't asking for compliments but I have to say it ... he's GORGEOUS! I'm sure you'll get answers to your question ... sorry, I don't have that experience to critique.

Garrison - GSD
Cupid - terrier mix (shelter rescue)
Stella Artois - lab/boxer (?) mix (shelter rescue)
Saranac - Siberian Husky
3 kitties, 1 goldfish, 1 cockatiel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

can you please load the pictures right to this thread? It's taking forever to load even one picture from your links.

I'm not really understanding your point here.
Quote:
Talk about the pros of his conformation and the faults?

I understand his eyes are too light for the 'breed standard' but he's no herding dog so I don't really care about that,
If it's part of the breed standard, you want to talk about potential faults but only certain ones? And what does being a "herding dog" have to do with anything? You lost me there.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Master Member

He has decent shoulder lay back, croup looks nice, and I like his topline. He also has very nice feet. Looks to have very short upperarm, could use more rear(particularly more lower thigh). He lacks bone and has a rather fine/snipey head for a male, weak lowerjaw. Hopefully with his age, that could change when he matures.

Dakonic German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
can you please load the pictures right to this thread? It's taking forever to load even one picture from your links.

I'm not really understanding your point here.

If it's part of the breed standard, you want to talk about potential faults but only certain ones? And what does being a "herding dog" have to do with anything? You lost me there.
Bright eyes are a fault with herding dogs because it can strike fear into the animals He happens to have those bright eyes, haha!
And I mean the pros about his structure, plus, the cons about his structure. And sorry- I literally have no idea how x.x Whenever I try it either doesn't show up. or shows up too big
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cschmidt88 View Post
He has decent shoulder lay back, croup looks nice, and I like his topline. He also has very nice feet. Looks to have very short upperarm, could use more rear(particularly more lower thigh). He lacks bone and has a rather fine/snipey head for a male, weak lowerjaw. Hopefully with his age, that could change when he matures.

Thanks!
Haha, weird, I've always been told how much people love his head/expression on other sites.
I must add, he is still rather lanky right now- he is the runt of the litter and I found all of his brothers got pretty filled out... he's getting there, not quite though!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyMDBecker View Post
I know you aren't asking for compliments but I have to say it ... he's GORGEOUS! I'm sure you'll get answers to your question ... sorry, I don't have that experience to critique.
Thank you!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMutleyCrue View Post
Bright eyes are a fault with herding dogs because it can strike fear into the animals He happens to have those bright eyes, haha!
yeah...um...ok...who told you that?

Light eyes are against the breed standard. Period. BC's, Aussie's have blue eyes and no herding issues. That is not why light eyes are not standard.

USCA/FCI standard
Quote:
The eyes are of medium size, almond-shaped, slightly slanted and not protruding. The colour of the eyes should be as dark as possible. Light, piercing eyes are undesirable since they impair the dog’s impression.
SV standard
Quote:
The eyes are medium in size, almond-shaped, somewhat slanted, and not protruding. The color of the eyes should be as dark as possible; light, piercing eyes are not desired, as this detracts from the dog’s expression.
It has nothing to do with herding and everything to do about general appearance. There is no function to the eye standard. It's only relevant to the breed founder's preference.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
yeah...um...ok...who told you that?

Light eyes are against the breed standard. Period. BC's, Aussie's have blue eyes and no herding issues. That is not why light eyes are not standard.

USCA/FCI standard

SV standard

It has nothing to do with herding and everything to do about general appearance. There is no function to the eye standard. It's only relevant to the breed founder's preference.

I read it on this site a while ago, so I've always assumed that
But okay- but either way, I don't care about his light brown/yellow eyes. I think it is a lot more unique and pretty, in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page