18 month old sable male. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

18 month old sable male.

Just for fun, I don't intend to show him and I know he's not really that well built. Can you guys critique based of these poorly done stacks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

I have no critique for you....but what a handsome boy. Looks like a darker version of mine.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM

Beautiful. Has the body type of what I think mine will have when she is older. About the same color too. Looks like a nicely bred dog. I am no expert so I can't give much of a critique.

DerSieger 2010 gsd
Safari 2015 gsd
Brady 2015 Border Collie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

he is a nicely made working line dog.....he is not a ASL or WGSL so you don't want to compare apples to oranges!

His conformation is fine - has the typical working line "faults" - ie straight shoulder - which is nothing more than fashion in the show ring....otherwise he looks to be a SG dog.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 03:33 AM
Master Member

He's a handsome boy!

I like his handsome masculine head, and his neck seems to flow nicely. He has a decent front but could use more rear and lacks turn of stifle. Even from a non-show perspective, you get better ease of movement from the front and rear angles being similar/balanced. Short upperarm, but I like his depth of chest.

Dakonic German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your time and comments, it's very odd hearing so many nice things (in spite of his faults) since I personally am not a fan of his build. His littermates are much more to my taste (stockier, more blocky conformations). I don't like his roached back, I think his chest is too barrelled (he has a tuck, but you don't get that defined waist even if he's in decent shape), his rear is indeed weak and I really don't like how high his tail is set. I also don't like how short his coat is, but I'm hoping it'll fill out when he's nearing 3 like it usually does with sables. But he is of a short coat type with an excess undercoat (this is also a fault), and IMO a little too unpigmented for my preferences.

But I love him all the same!

Here's a non-stack picture that shows him in a less favourable and more realistic light:

Glad to hear you guys consider his face/head to be masculine, I've always thought he looked very feminine but since he's not done filling out I think all of his body could use a bit of testosterone.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 03:01 PM
Master Member

I think that is a very fair critique of him. Cudos to you for admitting his faults, I didn't even catch the tail set.

And I may be biased since I've been following him on Tumblr. I always thought he had a handsome face, it could be more masculine that is true, I've met some shepherds that didn't finish maturing until around 3. So hopefully he'll fill out a bit more on those areas.

Dakonic German Shepherds

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 03:22 PM

I guess that's the old saying "to each their own". Because the things your not to fond of, I Prefer. I love the shorter hair and the leaner body. I don't like the blocky look on a GSD at all, and even though I think the longer hair is beautiful I don't think it belongs on a GSD. (just my preference)
Your dog has many of the same traits as mine and I chose his parents carefully, to get these traits.
A working GSD and a show GSD are not the same.
You have a beautiful working line GSD, and I think he's perfect. I know you love him regardless of the little things but in my eyes those little things a better.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef LeDoux View Post
I guess that's the old saying "to each their own". Because the things your not to fond of, I Prefer. I love the shorter hair and the leaner body. I don't like the blocky look on a GSD at all, and even though I think the longer hair is beautiful I don't think it belongs on a GSD. (just my preference)
Your dog has many of the same traits as mine and I chose his parents carefully, to get these traits.
A working GSD and a show GSD are not the same.
You have a beautiful working line GSD, and I think he's perfect. I know you love him regardless of the little things but in my eyes those little things a better.
Oh, I think you misunderstand me or misinterpret my preferences! Here are a few dogs that are more to my liking, you can tell it's definitely not the "show type" I'm out for...

I personally prefer normal (short) coat haired german shepherds too, but as you can tell from my dog he has excess undercoat but not a lot of guard hairs. Most of the guard hairs sit atop his spine or his shoulders, another thing I'm not a huge fan of as his coat quality along his side is not the same silky smooth as it is where he's more fortunately coated. :P

But at the end of the day, with a dog like this, it's the mentality that's more important. And while he is a little low prey drive for my tastes (he has a lot of civil/defense drive but is maturing slowly as common to his bloodlines) he is a VERY VERY VERY solid and unfazed dog.

You can't get it all but at the same time he is young, maturing slowly, both his true personality and exterior won't be possible to determine until he's around 2.5-3 years old.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cschmidt88 View Post
I think that is a very fair critique of him. Cudos to you for admitting his faults, I didn't even catch the tail set.

And I may be biased since I've been following him on Tumblr. I always thought he had a handsome face, it could be more masculine that is true, I've met some shepherds that didn't finish maturing until around 3. So hopefully he'll fill out a bit more on those areas.
You're too kind The downside to choosing a dog as a puppy is that you can never tell the final result. And Sören is by no stretch of the imagination a poor representation of his breed, just as he isn't an amazing one. Unfortunately he isn't my heart dog, but we're a decent team and that's what matters. What I did wrong with Sören I will be able to do better with the next, and by the time we're getting our next puppy Sören will be at least coming on 3.

But yeah, I really hope his time to bloom will come, and that he's not stuck in this scrawny premature stage. It might just be his build, sure, but to me he kinda looks like he got stuck in the 10-11 month phase...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page