Critique requested - 3 year old WGSL female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Critique requested - 3 year old WGSL female

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn, and would love to hear what people have to say.

Thanks

Apologies for the blurriness, hopefully you'll still be able to see what needs to be seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Banned

I don't know anything about show dogs or even what you want to hear. But I will state that you have a beautiful dog. I'm not a fan of the slanted backs but that doesn't take away from how nice your dog looks. She has a very nice shaped head. Blocky and big.

I would say she looks pretty good.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you scarmack for the kind words. I like her head too! Anyone who is interested can feel free to judge her structure - SL and WL people alike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 PM

One word, WOW!, She is Beautiful!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
It's hard to really judge from the angle of the photo.

Good things first: SABLE! Love sable Very nice, strong head, perhaps bordering on coarse for a bitch. But I'd rather a doggy bitch than a bitchy dog. Nice deep chest, good forechest. Strong pasterns. Beautiful bone nice short hocks. Long hocks are a problem we tend to have in this breed.

For the not so great, I do not care for her topline at all. Her topline, in my opinion is broken and incorrect. I do not like to see such a hunch in the spine. The croup, because of this, is long, but very very steep. I actually like her rear angulation, but because of that pushed forward pelvis, she looks very unbalanced especially in relation to her front, which looks very upright. I would wager she moves from the elbow and lifts in front.

Her neck is very short and makes her look stuffy, caused by the fact that her front looks tied into her neck. Her feet are not bad, but I would like to see better arched toes. Not a cat foot, but definitely thicker and better supported.

She's not my style at all, but I'm sure she's fine for what you want to do with her.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
It's hard to really judge from the angle of the photo.

Good things first: SABLE! Love sable Very nice, strong head, perhaps bordering on coarse for a bitch. But I'd rather a doggy bitch than a bitchy dog. Nice deep chest, good forechest. Strong pasterns. Beautiful bone nice short hocks. Long hocks are a problem we tend to have in this breed.

For the not so great, I do not care for her topline at all. Her topline, in my opinion is broken and incorrect. I do not like to see such a hunch in the spine. The croup, because of this, is long, but very very steep. I actually like her rear angulation, but because of that pushed forward pelvis, she looks very unbalanced especially in relation to her front, which looks very upright. I would wager she moves from the elbow and lifts in front.

Her neck is very short and makes her look stuffy, caused by the fact that her front looks tied into her neck. Her feet are not bad, but I would like to see better arched toes. Not a cat foot, but definitely thicker and better supported.

She's not my style at all, but I'm sure she's fine for what you want to do with her.
Thank you so much for such an in-depth reply! I really appreciate it Especially the time you took to elaborate on what you didn't like about her structure - you explained in detail, which is really helpful for a newbie.

For those interested, this is what was said about her at 12 months (not sure by whom, as she's not mine but a friend's):

"large, very typey expressive grey sable bitch with excellent proportions,
good top and underline, very good fore and hindquarter angulations,
steps correct front and rear with good firmness of hocks and elbows, shows very good movement."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Elite Member

Did you get permission from your friend to have people critique her dog?? Not a huge deal, just structure critiques can be difficult to hear....especially if you didn't ask for it.

"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Indeed, it's not a problem. I'm happy to remove the pic however if this was against board rules?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 PM

Well, I was wanting to see the picture. I guess I was six minutes too late.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBuren shepherds View Post
Well, I was wanting to see the picture. I guess I was six minutes too late.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Not sure what you can't see...pic is still there....

OP, I don't think it's against the rules at all?? But it's always a good idea to get permission when asking someone to possibly negatively critique someone else's dog...however, you'd have to check the rules....no idea if it's actually against them. :-)

"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page