German Shepherds Forum banner

Critique requested - 3 year old WGSL female

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Vagus 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn, and would love to hear what people have to say.

Apologies for the blurriness, hopefully you'll still be able to see what needs to be seen.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know anything about show dogs or even what you want to hear. But I will state that you have a beautiful dog. I'm not a fan of the slanted backs but that doesn't take away from how nice your dog looks. She has a very nice shaped head. Blocky and big.

I would say she looks pretty good.

#5 ·
It's hard to really judge from the angle of the photo.

Good things first: SABLE! Love sable :) Very nice, strong head, perhaps bordering on coarse for a bitch. But I'd rather a doggy bitch than a bitchy dog. Nice deep chest, good forechest. Strong pasterns. Beautiful bone nice short hocks. Long hocks are a problem we tend to have in this breed.

For the not so great, I do not care for her topline at all. Her topline, in my opinion is broken and incorrect. I do not like to see such a hunch in the spine. The croup, because of this, is long, but very very steep. I actually like her rear angulation, but because of that pushed forward pelvis, she looks very unbalanced especially in relation to her front, which looks very upright. I would wager she moves from the elbow and lifts in front.

Her neck is very short and makes her look stuffy, caused by the fact that her front looks tied into her neck. Her feet are not bad, but I would like to see better arched toes. Not a cat foot, but definitely thicker and better supported.

She's not my style at all, but I'm sure she's fine for what you want to do with her.

#6 ·
Thank you so much for such an in-depth reply! I really appreciate it :) Especially the time you took to elaborate on what you didn't like about her structure - you explained in detail, which is really helpful for a newbie.

For those interested, this is what was said about her at 12 months (not sure by whom, as she's not mine but a friend's):

"large, very typey expressive grey sable bitch with excellent proportions,
good top and underline, very good fore and hindquarter angulations,
steps correct front and rear with good firmness of hocks and elbows, shows very good movement."

#7 ·
Did you get permission from your friend to have people critique her dog?? Not a huge deal, just structure critiques can be difficult to hear....especially if you didn't ask for it.

#10 ·
Not sure what you can't see...pic is still there....

OP, I don't think it's against the rules at all?? But it's always a good idea to get permission when asking someone to possibly negatively critique someone else's dog...however, you'd have to check the rules....no idea if it's actually against them. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.