Critique on a UK KC registered White German Shepherd - Apollo. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Critique on a UK KC registered White German Shepherd - Apollo.

Apollo is a 1yr 10mo old German Shepherd from English blood lines, has a six gen. pedigree, and is registered to the United Kingdom Kennel Club. We fully understand he is white with a long coat and can not be put into most show rings unless they are specialty. That has not "put us off" one bit. We love the English white/cream long coat look.

We have plans for him to try for an International Therapy Dog, Obedience, and a few other titles. Once he has proven himself in those areas, as well as hip/elbow score + blood tests, we hope to find another UK KC registered bitch to pair him with. That is -only- if he can be proven and is in great health.

Please tell me what you think of him. Just took a few snaps of him this afternoon while on the field. I tried to poke him to stack but honestly I am such a dummy at doing that so... this is the result. I plan to get someone to show me how when we move to Maryland.

BE WARNED: He is -not- groomed well in these. He is honestly quite filthy. Ah! Sorry!

All the images in the world:
( Edited to 800 x 600 )

Thank you so much for your constructive critique of Apollo!

-Mrs.R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

See, I had a friend tell me his back leg should be out more and I put his paws in-front of him vs under him... WOOPS! Learning!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Banned

Wow... He... is... stunning. Absolutely breathtaking. His hair is gorgeous and his coloring is perfect! Seriously, he is beautiful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know enough about conformation to do a good critique but wanted to say he's a nice looking pup, I love the long stocks. Would love to see him when he's 2 or 3.

You wouldn't be able to show him in the AKC conformation ring but if you want to register him with the UKC (United Kennel Club) he can be shown as a GSD in their shows.

You might also want to check out the WGSDCA Int. and the WGSDCA, both are white German Shepherd Dog clubs.
White German Shepherd Dog Club International, Inc - Home
White German Shepherd Dog Club of America, Inc. || Welcome
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover2000 View Post
Wow... He... is... stunning. Absolutely breathtaking. His hair is gorgeous and his coloring is perfect! Seriously, he is beautiful!

Ah! Thank you so much! He is our "Mr.Man". Love him! Glad to see you do too! Super flattering. I'll let him know what you said.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I don't know enough about conformation to do a good critique but wanted to say he's a nice looking pup, I love the long stocks. Would love to see him when he's 2 or 3.

You wouldn't be able to show him in the AKC conformation ring but if you want to register him with the UKC (United Kennel Club) he can be shown as a GSD in their shows.

You might also want to check out the WGSDCA Int. and the WGSDCA, both are white German Shepherd Dog clubs.
White German Shepherd Dog Club International, Inc - Home
White German Shepherd Dog Club of America, Inc. || Welcome

Sounds like a great idea to look into those clubs! I've heard a lot about the UKC that has scared me away. Would registering him there make him seem to be a "lesser" animal than keeping him as a UK KC registered dog? Can you duel register a dog? Have him registered in the UKC and the UK KC? Just curious. Maybe all the hu-bub I hear is false jabber.

Also, I am looking for a good mentor in the states. I know a great woman here in England who is helping be but I would love some local help! Maybe those clubs can assist me in my personal goal of self education and proving Apollos worth to the breed.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 PM
Elite Member

I just wanted to say, it is so refreshing to see someone thinking about breeding, looking for a mentor, health checking, and working/proving their dog. Bravo, OP! Good luck to you! I really hope you have great success. Beautiful dog btw! I know some around here aren't crazy about people breeding "white gsds," it is def a topic for debate. But I am just happy to see someone that is willing to go the extra mile while considering breeding(health checks, mentors, titling, etc). Like I said, hope it all works out for you!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
I just wanted to say, it is so refreshing to see someone thinking about breeding, looking for a mentor, health checking, and working/proving their dog. Bravo, OP! Good luck to you! I really hope you have great success. Beautiful dog btw! I know some around here aren't crazy about people breeding "white gsds," it is def a topic for debate. But I am just happy to see someone that is willing to go the extra mile while considering breeding(health checks, mentors, titling, etc). Like I said, hope it all works out for you!!
Thank you! I am doing my best to do everything the right way. I know about those who look down on breeding whites, but their view really isn't what I am concerned about. I hope the White GSD can be a valuable genetic gene pool in the future. I also hope that whites will some day be re-recognized by the organization that shunned them! I adore what the White German Shepherd is and the GSD temperament. If I wanted a Swiss, I would have bought one later down the road. Coincidentally enough, his sister is being used in the Swiss breeding program! I know the standard for the Swiss and a White GSD is different, so I can't wait to see a "down the line" Swiss next to a white GSD! I can already see in pictures where they look quite different!

Anywho! Thank you again! I really hope he makes the cut and we can do all the things we want to with this fella. If not, our next dog will benefit from our experiences with Apollo. I am in no rush to breed or jump on any irresponsible ban-wagons!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:38 PM

Can you post his pedigree?

Devon
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

I am not expert enough in conformation to comment, but he is a gorgeous beast! The only thing I don't like is that his nose isn't completely black. I know that is really hard to achieve when breeding whites, and it's relatively minor, but I really like black noses.

I too would be interested to see his pedigree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page