Diesel - Working? Show? Critique - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Diesel - Working? Show? Critique

Hey everyone, I am so curious about others opinions on Diesel (not that they matter I love him either way) I had someone tell me he is working lines (Why?) One trainer told me his extensively long tail is something that is good for herding to help keep balance and switch directions quickly... (I think it looks like a Puma tail but whatever) Since I dont know his breeding please tell me what you think. I dont have anyone to help me stack so apologies best I can do is his natural stack. Mind you he is still slightly underweight probably needs another 10-15lbs to get his full muscle mass so his hips are still slightly thin (IMO) Guessing his age is between 1-2yrs old. For a size comparison he is about 92-95lbs right now and 34 inches at the shoulder if that matters (aka big ol' boy!)

If I need other pictures tell me what kind and I will do my best to get them.

Best Stack I can get:

Good Shot of ear set, overall head

Last edited by Diesel and Lace; 07-15-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Adding Size info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Elite Member

the pics aren't showing up for me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

How about now? I dont think my resizing worked on them originally

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

He doesn't have that typical cookie cutter show line look, so it's possible he's from working lines. Without a pedigree, it's just a guess though. Never heard the comment about the tail, but I'm sure that's not an indicator if the dog is working lines.

34" is one huge german shepherd. Is that being measured at his withers to the ground? I don't think I've ever seen one that big in person.

He also looks like he's lacking muscle in his rear legs. He looks to be in ok shape weight-wise. Just looks to be lacking muscle tone, but it could be the age.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post

34" is one huge german shepherd. Is that being measured at his withers to the ground? I don't think I've ever seen one that big in person.

He also looks like he's lacking muscle in his rear legs. He looks to be in ok shape weight-wise. Just looks to be lacking muscle tone, but it could be the age.
He is huge and yes that is to his withers from the ground at his paw, he is as big as my friends grate dane. He is lacking a ton of muscle in his hind end, still gaining weight, he weighed 71lbs when he arrived to me just over 2 months ago, been a really slow go. Gradually building up his exercise to build tone and muscle paired with grain free kibble and raw diet. Trying to get him there, we went from 6 small meals a day now down to 3 decent size meals a day.

Here is what we came from weight wise which also shows how frickin huge he is a little better this is my home office

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 AM
Crowned Member

He appears neither show or sport lines.....very similar looking to dogs which predates WGSL or Sport dogs of today. Enjoy your dog!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Knighted Member

He is a big boy. He has a very similar look to one of my old shepherds. She was kind of a hodgepodge of lines. Her father was West German Showline X American Showline cross and her mother was just old american pet lines. She had the same coloring and was very large. As a female I think she was around 90lbs at her prime.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Knighted Member

He looks like the result of "poor breeding" that produces what many call american pet lines - aka BYB special. He is MASSIVE, much bigger than any working lines. Likely people throwing large german shepherds together to create more large german shepherds because everyone wants a giant german Shepherd.

That would be my guess. Handsome boy, and I meant no insult with my term "BYB special". I purchased zeke out of the newspaper before I knew better, and although I'll never repeat that mistake he is an AMAZING boy and I love him to death

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
That would be my guess. Handsome boy, and I meant no insult with my term "BYB special". I purchased zeke out of the newspaper before I knew better, and although I'll never repeat that mistake he is an AMAZING boy and I love him to death

No offense taken, I am almost certain he is a BYB product, he is a rescue so it is what it is. I am sure with his size we are destined for HD or ED. (he already creaks and cracks in his back end, which I am not certain if it is from the lack of muscle mass or what we are headed for HD/ED)

The only real reason I want to know from people who know better than I, is to help me keep him progressing. I have done so much research on both types of lines and there are some distinct differences and things to look out for in their future, what motivates them, more effective ways in training, and overall what to expect out of their temperament (in general any dog can vary from the standard obviously). I love him regardless and when I rescued him, I was looking for a pup from a good breeder but I could not let him die in that hole of a shelter his eyes spoke to me in a picture, and here I am, monster dog that had no manners or OB what so ever, that wants to eat every other dog he see's. Good or bad I am in it for the long haul even though there are certainly days I want to hide in a hole and cry
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

He is very handsome.

I would not worry about lines. Treat him as an individual and work him as such. There is so much variation even in known lines that you can't put a generalization on them.

Thanks for rescuing him!!!

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page