What do you think? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

What do you think?

Showing really hasn't even crossed my mind as i bought my pup purely as a pet but we have been having such great results at the German Shepherd League we go too that i will be taking up competitive obedience and possibly agility later on under the training of our great instructor who thinks we have what it takes.

She also thinks there is no reason we shouldn't show if we wanted too as she thinks my pup is a beautiful example and he comes from champion lines on his sires side.

I know nothing about showing and what a dog should/shouldn't be like to compete (apart from the usual breed standards etc) so opinions on my boy would be great...

This is him at 20 weeks.

This is his sire (dog at top of the page, CH Blackcrest From A Far)
South Island German Shepherd League :: HEATHCOTE

Xander - 14/1/13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Also i know i will need to learn to stack him etc etc but that will all happen if i decide to go ahead. In the mean time he is pictured basically how he put himself when asked to stay for a treat, he almost stacked himself lol!

Xander - 14/1/13

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

She is very mature looking in the body for her age.

High withers, OK topline, slightly steep croup that should be longer. She is a bit deep in the body right now and it makes her look square in structure. Very good angulation front and rear, though right now she has a bit much in the rear for my tastes. Beautiful feminine head and very rich and nice color.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
This puppy is a male Lisa xD

That said, I overall agree with the critique. I find him a bit femme looking, and the head should be stronger at this age. Not my style, but not a bad pup

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, and yes male pup. Can't say I ever considered his face to be feminine looking haha but that's fine, I just won't tell him haha

Xander - 14/1/13

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Also just wondering, do different countries look for different things when it comes to their GSDs? Just noticed a lot of our show dogs here in NZ have differing things when I compare to photos of GSDs in other countries? I notice a lot prefer the working dog structure over seas?
I find this forum so interesting and have learnt so much!!

Xander - 14/1/13

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Oops, sorry. I missed that. HE still has a very pretty head.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Banned

Yeah...shows are really a comparison of what's there that day. So its hard to tell you to show or not without knowing what venue, what type of dog, ect. He looks like a good dog, I have a hard time telling when they're puppies on what they'll look like when they'll be a little more full.

A show will compare him to the other dogs there that day. If he's the "closest" to the standard (or what the judge thinks is the standard) you'll win. If another dog is closer, you'll lose. You might have a better overall dog...but the judge might be looking for bigger/blockier heads that day and a dog with "worse" overall conformation will beat you if its got a better head.

In the US, shows are extremely political and the handler could win you a show even if the dog isn't the greatest.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Elite Member

He's beautiful...

Marlena
Bella 9/23/09

Gatticus 3/6/13

Cats zorro & Patches
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Master Member

wow i really like him.handsome boy!!

Piper ~01/16/2012

Zeus ~ 10/18/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page