Critique Kaiser: Almost 16 months - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Critique Kaiser: Almost 16 months

Kaiser will be 16 months old in 5 days. I snapped an updated stack picture and was SHOCKED to see a really nice topline (at least, in my non-professional opinion). He's generally had a "big butt" and a pretty straight back, but in this picture I see a very definite gentle slope which I think looks lovely. I do prefer straighter backs over the highly angulated ones you see in some american lines and the roached ones you see in some german show lines, but a gentle inbetween slope is totally acceptable in my opinion. Please ignore the big floof of hair over his rump and the smaller floof along the middle of his back (those are both all fur, not dips or bumps in his actual conformation).

almost 16 month stack by jsnail17, on Flickr

I'm sorry for how oversharpened this head shot is. The moment I think I get flickr/facebook's compression figured out they go and change things and all my photos look like crap again

floofies! by jsnail17, on Flickr

Kaiser ~ Jan 25, 2012 (GSD)
Dakota ~ Oct 2005 (GSD/Collie)
Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
JOIN MYA AS A SDiT...We would love your support!...at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

I LOVE his topline. I think it's perfect!!
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
I LOVE his topline. I think it's perfect!!

Thank you!!! I don't think I've seen him look "this good" yet, structurally speaking. I know my stacking hasn't always been the best, and I've come a long with with stacking and photographing myself, but what could have caused such a change in his conformation? I can't imagine this is part of the maturing/growth process, because if that was the case then how are breeders able to pick out puppies with the best structure to hold back when they are so young?

As a comparison, here is a picture I took April 13

1 by jsnail17, on Flickr

and one I took March 6

14 mo stack by jsnail17, on Flickr

Neither of the above photos show what the picture I took today shows. Maybe its a grooming thing?

Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Rei
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
Neither of the above photos show what the picture I took today shows. Maybe its a grooming thing?
I think a lot of it is just the way he is stacked He's overstretched in the most recent stacked picture - his rear leg is overextended there, whereas it's relatively parallel to the ground in the stacks from March/April.

Handsome boy and an otherwise great stack, though! Gorgeous headshot, I'm still getting the hang of Flickr's image compression too. And Facebook is the absolute worst.

- Grace

"Trash" Bite Risk vom Feuergarten BH HCT-s CGCA TKN (GSD)
"Siege" Zala IPO1 (Malinois)

"Trent" (GSD) 2009- 2019; The beginning of everything
"Legion" (Malinois) 2010 - 2018; My brightest star
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
I think a lot of it is just the way he is stacked He's overstretched in the most recent stacked picture - his rear leg is overextended there, whereas it's relatively parallel to the ground in the stacks from March/April.

Handsome boy and an otherwise great stack, though! Gorgeous headshot, I'm still getting the hang of Flickr's image compression too. And Facebook is the absolute worst.
First of all, your profile picture is AWESOME!

Secondly, I didn't notice that at first but you are right! Its amazing how much of a difference such a small movement can make.

Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Bump

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 PM
x11
Banned

i will have a shot at it;

overall a nicely put together well balanced dog. some people might get bent out of shape by the tufts of hair raised on the topline when in pics. medium bone and nothing too extreme. front legs seem short. unusual color. good topline with strong rear assembly and good angulation at rear. large erect ears. overall picture a happy, healthy active dog.

i have no idea what i am talking about.

Last edited by x11; 05-20-2013 at 08:28 PM.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
i will have a shot at it;

overall a nicely put together well balanced dog. some people might get bent out of shape by the tufts of hair raised on the topline when in pics. medium bone and nothing too extreme. front legs seem short. unusual color. good topline with strong rear assembly and good angulation at rear. large erect ears. overall picture a happy, healthy active dog.

i have no idea what i am talking about.
Thank you for your comments. If you look closely along his chest and under belly you will see hair several inches long that makes his chest look deeper than it really is. His elbows are about an inch-inch and a half below the curve of his chest (if that makes sense), so his legs are actually longer than they appear. Then again, I'm not sure how long they are supposed to be

Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM
x11
Banned

gotcha, you noticed this as well, so i was not totally off by bringing attention to it.

i like yr dog but in any critique i would prefer to see a dog actually moving, boo-hoo to the stack imo.

BTW what technically is that coloration called and what sort of activity level has Kaiser, i am guessing an active dog??
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Hes a sable ("long" stock coat)...cream/brown undertones with the black tips (I suppose technically hes a dilute red sable?). He's pretty active/high energy and I try to keep him lean. He's appx 77lbs.

Mya ~ Dec 2013 (GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page