Stacking Variations/Comparison - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Rei
Elite Member

Stacking Variations/Comparison

I thought it would be interesting to see the difference that a stack and photo angle can make, especially to the untrained eye.

Same dog, same field, on four different days (all pictures taken within 8 - 9 months of each other).

4 years old
West German working line
Male
27" at the withers and 80 lbs

He is very out of shape and overweight in the bottom pictures, but we are working on it so please excuse that for now.

I've already heard a good number of critiques on him, so I'm not actually looking for any this time (though they are still welcome, as are comments and observations!). Just thought this would be fun to share.

- Grace

"Trash" Bite Risk vom Feuergarten BH HCT-s CGCA TKN (GSD)
"Siege" Zala IPO1 (Malinois)

"Trent" (GSD) 2009- 2019; The beginning of everything
"Legion" (Malinois) 2010 - 2018; My brightest star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 AM

The top right photo probably has to be my favorite- very nice stance(despite his head cocked to the side), light in photo does not appear too bright nor dark and background is quite minimal, less distraction. Even the bottom right photo has less distraction in the background to focus more on the dog.. I found that is helps to keep the natural look outside like grass, trees, etc instead of houses and other man-made objects out of the background.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited by Thesilentone; 05-06-2013 at 04:48 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Banned

He looks great in all 4 photos. In the bottom ones he looks more filled out, not overweight, but you would know better. Gorgeous dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

top right picture is my favorite, love him
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Bottom left is my favorite

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Rei
Elite Member

The top right and the bottom left are my two favorites, so I agree with all the comments I like the top right for his posture, and as Thesilentone mentioned, for the good background and lighting. It's a good stack and a good picture. He's in great shape here, and sure he looks like a bitch/an immature male, but I won't get too picky LOL

I like the bottom left because (like the top right) I find it very aesthetically pleasing. I think it shows his structure and conformation well, and he looks like a male here. I had brushed him the night before, so the insanely wavy patch of fur above the withers is relatively tame. His topline probably looks the best here.

I actually like that most people will look at the bottom left picture and realize he has a fair amount of rear. Gives me a chance to remind them that "angulation" is not a four letter word

What I don't like about the bottom left picture is the overgrown grass, and all the dead grass strewn across the field. I'd PS it out, but have no patience for it LOL He also seems to be posting just the tiniest smidgen? Also not happy with his muscle tone and weight, but it's nothing that stands out.

And yes, I agree that the lighting in the top left sucks (bright summer afternoon) and the harness in the bottom right is distracting (I was showing off the new harness in that picture).

These were all taken within under a year of each other, between ages 3 and 4. I don't think he would have noticeably filled out during that time. He does appear to lose substance in the top right picture, but he was very tense and upright there. I think he tried to stand on his toes!

- Grace

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:38 PM

How do you teach stacking?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Rei
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett's Mommy View Post
How do you teach stacking?
Jackie/Xeph taught me

Here's a sticky that outlines stacking step by step: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...how-stack.html

Here's a quick video that a friend of mine made, explaining how she stacks her GSD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGX0G-KTlAE

Here's a video of me stacking my dog about a year and a half ago (warning, put it on mute...I had no idea my camera captured audio ):
This was his first time being stacked with a bait/treat in over 2 years, so he does lean in and scoot his paws, but it's not bad all things considering.

A reliable "stay" and a lot of practice really helps. Another trick that I've seen is the use of blocks, like the ones pictured here:

(I actually think this is Liesje's Nikon as a puppy - found this on Google Images)

and here (I think this dog used to be on the board as well... the dog is either Jaia or B'asia? Forgot which dog was the male!)

- Grace

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

Grace! I thought of you today

Kastle turns 2 years on Sunday (and I'll be gone), so I took some updated stacked photos. Same spot, same dog, same day, same light etc Different stacks.

He is 2 years old, 63 lbs

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

A while back I posted a set of 4 stacked GSD silhouettes and had folks on the PDB guess what "types" of dogs each one was. The guesses were all over the place, from WGSL to working line to American pet type line. The joke was that each silhouette was my own dog, all the same dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page