Trying this again - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Trying this again

I have a general idea of where they have faults, but I'm not an expert and wanted to hear from some others on this. I really want to learn more about GSD conformation. I've looked at a lot of other critiques and it's helped a lot... but, I feel the best way to learn is from the dogs you see in front of your face every day. See what is correct and what is not.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but I've been really wanting to understand my dogs through a more knowledgeable eye. I want to thank everyone a million times over for looking and responding! It's a long process, but someday I do want to have a solid GSD and there are some thoughts of eventually becoming a breeder (no time soon! Future!).... the more I can learn now from these guys, the easier it will be for me to get to where I want to be! Thanks everyone!

Please critique my pack:
Duke -WGSL- 3yrs, neutered.
P - Litter von Jagenstadt

Stack:

Natural Stack (told to stand while I threw the ball... I didn't fix him):

Head:

Movement:

Video:
Duke-3years_zps463e8e87.mp4 Video by Countrygirl24 | Photobucket

Storm- WL (WG?), 9 Month old, Intact
Line-breeding for the progency of Ulix vom Haus Pixner and Hanna Vom EnZ

Stack:
Sorry this is so old... she just doesn't stay still long enough for me to actually stack her yet. We're working on it.

Natural Stack:

Head:

Movement:

Video:
Storm-9months_zps01a12644.mp4 Video by Countrygirl24 | Photobucket

I will post Zira's after this.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Zira- 2yr old, ASL (Rescue), Spayed
Stack:

Natural Stack:

Head:

Movement:

Video:
Zira-2yrs_zps87bfb6ee.mp4 Video by Countrygirl24 | Photobucket

She has hip issues, the video was taken to have a friend take a look and compare to the dogs she's seen with bad hips. She just started to get a bit worse, but no pain noticed. She will be getting x-rays done soon to see where we stand on. I wanted to note that since I started noticing her hips getting bad, I stopped biking her (before she used to do 1 mile 3x a week), this was just about 3 laps around the cul de sac to get the video. Her hips also make her uncomfortable to Stack. So the only ones I have for that is an old one and some natural stacks I happened to catch.

It was the same with Storm. I don't bike her any distances (too young). To work her mind, and get her ready for when she's old enough.. I have taught her bike manners (Stop, slow down, to sit when I stop, not to bite the bike... etc). For this we went a few laps to get video. I also had to get a video for a trainer here to see what I mean about her pasterns being "down". We are working on supplements to help her out there... not sure when this started.

Anyway, I wanted to note that before I send this all out for comments.

Thanks everyone again in advance!! I really want to use these guys to learn from.. faults, good points, what to look for... and what to avoid.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I can't watch the videos, unfortunately.

Your male. Very richly colored male with excellent pigment. OK withers and topline. His croup looks better in the first photo. The second it is flat. Good angulation in front. He looks a bit open in the elbow. I don't like how his front looks and it is that way in both of the photos. Good angulation in front. Very good behind. His upper arm needs to be longer. His pasterns and feet could be a bit tighter. He does show very good secondary sex characteristics. In movement I would like to see him be freer and a bit more balanced (based on photos since I can't watch the videos).

The puppy.

Flat withers (which is very obvious once she starts moving), OK topline with slightly steep croup. Sufficient angulation in front though her upper arm is not a bad length. Good to very good angulation behind (which is partly why she tends to fall on her forehand while moving). Pasterns are a bit straight. Good color, nice face. In movement, as I have already pointed out, she tends to fall on her forehand (looks like she is running down hill). She has good drive off of her rear, but lacks reach in front though her shoulder is opening up as far as it can. She lacks balance.

Other female. She actually has the most balanced trot in the photos, IMO. Go figure. LOL I would like to see more substance overall. More bone, stronger head. She does have a high withers, but a very definitely dip just behind her withers. Very good position and length of croup. Very good angulation front and rear. Her pasterns and feed could be firmer/tighter. Good color, very dark pigment.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I can't watch the videos, unfortunately.

Your male. Very richly colored male with excellent pigment. OK withers and topline. His croup looks better in the first photo. The second it is flat. Good angulation in front. He looks a bit open in the elbow. I don't like how his front looks and it is that way in both of the photos. Good angulation in front. Very good behind. His upper arm needs to be longer. His pasterns and feet could be a bit tighter. He does show very good secondary sex characteristics. In movement I would like to see him be freer and a bit more balanced (based on photos since I can't watch the videos).

The puppy.

Flat withers (which is very obvious once she starts moving), OK topline with slightly steep croup. Sufficient angulation in front though her upper arm is not a bad length. Good to very good angulation behind (which is partly why she tends to fall on her forehand while moving). Pasterns are a bit straight. Good color, nice face. In movement, as I have already pointed out, she tends to fall on her forehand (looks like she is running down hill). She has good drive off of her rear, but lacks reach in front though her shoulder is opening up as far as it can. She lacks balance.

Other female. She actually has the most balanced trot in the photos, IMO. Go figure. LOL I would like to see more substance overall. More bone, stronger head. She does have a high withers, but a very definitely dip just behind her withers. Very good position and length of croup. Very good angulation front and rear. Her pasterns and feed could be firmer/tighter. Good color, very dark pigment.
Thank you!! I really appreciate your time to look and critique these guys. It all makes sense.

And go figure, my rescue, byb dog that has bad hips is the most balanced! lol! She's always has a not trot to her, lots of prey and toy drive, and she has a very upbeat personality.... which is why it was a huge disappointment with her hips. She would have been at least a nice OB dog, or even BH level... and she definitely would have killed it at agility... this dog is FAST! Well, darn. lol She's happy to be a pet though.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

You are welcome. If I could watch the videos I might change some of my thoughts about the movement, but probably not.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page