Critique Titan please.. 2.5 years - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Critique Titan please.. 2.5 years

This was my first time getting Titan to stack. I though he did pretty well considering, lol. But please let me know what you guys think.. if the pictures aren't good enough I'll try to get better ones later.. I wish you could see his shape a little better, I don't think I had enough sunlight.. maybe I'll take ones from above tonight..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0175.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	19609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0179.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	19610   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-10 19.05.11.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	19611   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-07 11.41.51-1-1-1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	19612   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-10 07.57.25.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	19613  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Titan 2.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	19614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled952012-05-269512-52-4095370.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	19615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled952012-05-269512-55-4095299.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	19616  

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The angle of the photo makes it hard to give a good critique since you are above the dog. You did do a good stacking job for the most part.

Good withers and topline going into a steep croup that should be longer. Very good angulation in front though his upper arm should be longer. Very good angulation in the rear. He appears to toe out (east/west) in front, but this could be how you stacked him (I didn't open all of the photos). I would like to see much tighter feet. My biggest criticism is that he lacks secondary sex characteristics and, while he has very deep brown coloring, he lacks a good black saddle. Is he neutered?

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
My biggest criticism is that he lacks secondary sex characteristics.
What do you mean by that? Sorry if it's obvious to you, lol.

And yes he is neutered.

I'd like to practice stacking a little more with him. Maybe turn it into a command. That would be nice, and convenient too. lol.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Knighted Member

Secondary sexual characteristics are usually physical features that help you tell a male from a female. Primary sexual characteristics are the actual sex organs used directly for reproduction. Say testicles or the uterus that participate directly in reproduction, but secondary sexual characteristics are usually essential for mating displays and things like that. Take a bird with bright features or a deer with developed antlers.

For example, in humans, males have secondary sexual characteristics that develop around puberty when an influx of hormones (testosterone) occurs. Things like facial hair, chest development, voice deepening and so on. The male child becomes masculine in features and structure.
Way back when there are eunuchs (castrated men), you could see a lack of secondary sexual characteristics in these men because they did not experience this surge of testosterone during puberty that would have masculinized them. They would have higher voices, lack of facial hair and a "feminine" appearance because of the lack of testosterone to masculinize the features.

Same thing happens in dogs that are neutered. They tend to lack the "maleness" that intact dogs exhibit. Neutered males tend to be lanky and long, lack substantial head/neck development, might have a lack of muscle/substance, etc.

Titan's head and front are a little feminine. It's hard to immediately tell if he is a male or female. I was going to ask if he was neutered too. He's a little light and lanky like a female. This could be due to genetics or neutering, but I definitely see it more in neutered males. How old was he when neutered?

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Same thing happens in dogs that are neutered. They tend to lack the "maleness" that intact dogs exhibit. Neutered males tend to be lanky and long, lack substantial head/neck development, might have a lack of muscle/substance, etc.
I do think genetics play a large role in that - because there's intact males who get the same comments. And then there's "doggy" bitches, too.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Knighted Member

Not trying to turn this into a neuter vs. intact thread. But yes, I believe it is a LOT more prevalent in neutered males. I have nothing against neutering if that's your personal choice, but neutering early, especially for the males tends to produce males that are more feminine in structure. Hence why Lisa asked if he was neutered. It's just the first assumption I jump to when I see a lack of certain secondary sexual characteristics. Of course genetics play a part, but hormones matter during development.

Ash

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Knighted Member

Love the 1st pic in the 2nd row! I don't know how to give chritiques but to me he is spectacular!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Crowned Member

I think he's quite stunning. He does lack secondary sex characteristics, in that you can't tell just by looking at him that he is male (with some dogs it's obvious--big wide head, larger bone, etc). This is most likely due to being neutered. But I wouldn't worry about that if I were you, it's really not that important if he's not a show dog and he's still VERY handsome! Deep red pigment and he looks nicely put together. I'm not a conformation expert, but my only criticism would be flat feet. This is very common in WGSL, as well as ASL dogs. I like to see a tight cat foot, with the toes well arched.

I would also like to see more of a saddle--again, very common in WGSL, and not a big deal.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I asked for two reasons, because he is not a very masculine male and because of his color. The grizzling, sometimes called a bitch stripe, is also seen more commonly in neutered males. What I mean by this is that the areas on his back, especially the saddle, that should be very black look washed out.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for all the comments guys! As for the neutering, I agree it's up to the person and if it was up to me I wouldn't have done it but he only had one that decended and it was by 2 vet recommendations that I get him neutered eventually but sooner the better. I waited until he was about 10 months I believe because I wanted him to form more of that muscle structure that is prominent in males.. apparently not as much as I wanted But I'm not too worried. I love his look.. my roommate and I joke because he was raised by females so he's more feminine Thanks for the input.. keep 'em coming.. I like hearing what people have to say.

And thanks to Zeeva! I really really need that framed but I haven't done it yet, it's my favorite picture of him!

v/r,

Whitney
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page