How well put together is Athena? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

How well put together is Athena?

Athena is 2 years old now and spayed if that makes any difference. It was suggested by the vet to have someone who really knew the breed look at her.

I'm just curious if there is anything that might be a sign of future problems. I've been reading through past posts and trying to understand how they are supposed to look. She is a pet and giving me it straight won't hurt my feelings.

I can't get her to sit still and learn the stacking. She thinks I want her to sit when I try and move her legs for some reason. So it was the best I've been able to get. I'm sorry for the quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

It might just be a trick of the photo, but she looks like she might be just a tad overweight... judging by the size of her head and legs, her body looks disproportionately large. Her chest looks like it might have a little fat pad on it and her body looks very deep. Again, could just be the photo or her positioning. My only comment is to say that it's a good idea to keep her nice and lean, maybe lose a few pounds if she needs to. When looking at her from above, does she have an indentation where her waist should be? Can you easily feel her ribs when you pet her?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Crowned Member

Love the corgi-they are growing on me-my next dog mightbe a corgi-with a tail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Hehe. It's hard to get a picture of Zeus where he isn't laying down, but he's an Australian Shepherd x Australian Cattle Dog cross. He was born tailless, though some of his siblings had them.

I manhandled Athena much to her delight. I didn't know about a fat pad on the chest. I can feel her ribs, but yes, she feels like she needs to lose a few pounds. I think she put on some weight since the last vet visit. I think she's eating Zeus' food.

Here is another picture.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Rei
Elite Member

Pretty girl! Out of curiosity, how old was she when she was spayed?

- Grace

"Trash" Bite Risk vom Feuergarten BH HCT-s CGCA TKN (GSD)
"Siege" Zala IPO1 (Malinois)

"Trent" (GSD) 2009- 2019; The beginning of everything
"Legion" (Malinois) 2010 - 2018; My brightest star
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

She was 7 months. If I knew the what I know now, I'd have waited until she was a year old at least. We have had unfixed roaming male dogs from people down the road and really didn't want puppies.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

very pretty girl like the aussie mix too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Knighted Member

Stack her after she has exercised. That usually gets better results. She doesn't have much rear angulation and her topline is level so I would give her the benefit of the doubt by stacking up slightly uphill and stretching her out some.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page