Functional and/or Conformation Critique (3 yr 5 mnth WL male) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Rei
Elite Member

Functional and/or Conformation Critique (3 yr 5 mnth WL male)

Would greatly appreciate any comments and critiques on his functional structure or conformation. Even speculation is welcome! Would really appreciate any type of analysis or thoughts.

3 years and 5 months old, primarily West German working lines with some DDR through his dam.

Slightly different angle

Headshot

Movement - the angle of this shot makes it appear as if he is traveling downhill, but in reality the ground is fairly level.

Quick thanks to Xeph on this board for her wonderful compliments and critique on his gait a few days prior.

- Grace

"Trash" Bite Risk vom Feuergarten BH HCT-s CGCA TKN (GSD)
"Siege" Zala IPO1 (Malinois)

"Trent" (GSD) 2009- 2019; The beginning of everything
"Legion" (Malinois) 2010 - 2018; My brightest star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:58 AM

I don't know enough yet to critique, but he is a gorgeous dog!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I cannot give a critique either but he is a nice looking very well muscled dog to me.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Crowned Member

gorgeous!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Rei
Elite Member

Wanted to add (forgot to the first time) that I realize he is overstretched, and that he does not have any breaks in his topline - just a batch of wavy fur around the withers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriegerhund View Post
I don't know enough yet to critique, but he is a gorgeous dog!
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I cannot give a critique either but he is a nice looking very well muscled dog to me.
Thank you, I appreciate that a lot! We are trying to work on getting back in shape - I was away from home for a while and he was about 6 or 7 lbs heavier than ideal. I am glad to hear that he is looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
gorgeous!
Thank you

- Grace

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Rei
Elite Member

Critiques and any other comments/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

- Grace

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Knighted Member

Nicely pigmented male with great masculine features. Good solid bone with (what looks to be) dark eyes. Normal withers and ok topline. Croup is steep and there is a slight break with the topline there. Nice front angulation and ok rear angulation. I think he is a bit overstretched in the rear which gives him a slightly hocky look so I would try to minimize that next time. Good muscle, but I like my dogs very thin and ribby so I think his structure/definition would show better with a couple less pounds. Use a fur saver or thin leather collar next time. The thick collar detracts from his stack imo so you can't see his head/neck as well. Try to brush down his cow licks next time. I think his topline would appear better without them. Were you stacking and taking the pictures yourself?

Cool dog. I very much like his balanced and substantial appearance

Ash

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Rei
Elite Member

Thanks so much for your critique, I was hoping you would give your opinion!

Yes, I was on my own - this was during our morning walk. I set him up, told him to 'stay', threw a ball for a more alert look, and started snapping pictures. Fairly typical morning routine for us He is definitely overstretched in the rear.

And I absolutely agree, he needs to lose at least 4 to 6 more pounds. I like to see the outline of the last few ribs, and currently I cannot unless he is panting or fully extended. I was away from home for quite a while and came back to a dog 6 or 7 lbs past ideal. We started working back towards getting in shape and will continue to do so!

This is our thinnest collar I will have to see about getting a fursaver, next time I'll remember to take the collar off. Good tip about combing down that patch of crazy wavy fur, it would definitely be an improvement.

Thanks again for your comments and critique! It was great to read what you said and look back at the pictures to find what you noticed.

- Grace

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Knighted Member

I asked about who took the picture because I think you can get more expression and intensity out of him if you were standing out in front and keeping his attention. Run him around so he is panting nicely. Have someone else take the picture and go out front to keep his focus. You might need to hide if he is very drivey and keeps breaking his stack. He looks almost calm here and I feel there's a power inside him that can be fully exhibited if he had his handler to focus on up front. Then you can capture that intense look, expressive eyes with a sly half grin and would fully showcase his gorgeous face. I remember a picture you posted a while back and he had his gaze on you. The look of love, respect and devotion...very nice! I really like seeing a dog "smile" and show his connection to the handler.
He looks very well-cared for! Lucky boy!

I think all-k9 and hallmark k9 are on the west coast so you might be able to get cheap shipping and delivered fast if you order a fursaver from them.

Ash

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
...if you were standing out in front and keeping his attention. Run him around so he is panting nicely. Have someone else take the picture and go out front to keep his focus.
OP- you could use the camera's self timer to accomplish this.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page