what do you think about my pups conformation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

what do you think about my pups conformation

Hello, This is my first German shepherd. I will never show her in conformation but would like to learn more about the German shepherd standard. I know that she will not be allowed to be shown because of her color is not an allowed color. I would just like to learn about the shepherds conformation. If you wouldn't mind letting me know what you see that is good and what is bad in her conformation. I will not take offense. She is not a conformation dog she is a working dog training in schutzhund, I am just curious. She is 7 months old now and is in her lanky skinny stage. She is AKC registered. Thanks in advance for your time. Also not sure if I stacked her right or not. First time stacking her and I never stacked a shepherd before. I am use to stacking dobermans which is totally different... Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sasha stacked.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	19235  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Master Member

I'm not one for critiquing as I know next to nothing about conformation, but she's a very pretty girl. I've never seen a shepherd that color.

Sent from my iPad using PG Free
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

great stack ! beautiful dog . like the head , the expression , the body proportions , topline , really nice rear , feet good . Body still has to fill in through the chest , but normal for a young dog like this . Balanced dog all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Knighted Member

Couldn't you show her in UKC events? I think you did an exceptional job stacking her.
Sheilah
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

you don't see this colour often. For those Toronto people who were around in the mid 70's I trained a dog (male) GSD with exactly this (pug-fawn) colour . Dogs name was Ludwig. He belonged to a male fashion model who did a lot of catalogue and magazine work - he was everywhere. Ludwig was even in the Eaton's catalogue, local newspapers , TV . I think he was gorgeous , and temperament was rock solid , very willing to learn and work with . In his day to day life when not under the hot lights , Ludwig was a fixture in his owners , other occupation, owner of a very interesting antique shop , just east of St Mike's on Queen St.

this pup really has a nice head , very calm and collected look to her - looks like she has her act together .

what is her pedigree and what were the colours of the sire , dam, other pups ? Curious how this would come about.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. They consider this color a golden shepherd. The sire was a red and black. And the mother was a golden also. She was in a litter of 9. Two were females. All the puppies in the litter took after the mother and were golden. The previous litter she had was black and red though.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Banned

Great looking girl, but man that color! I've never seen a shepherd like that! She's beautiful and her proportions look very good. I'd be interested to see how she would do in a UKC show as well, I know they generally don't discriminate colors but she's super rare! I'm kind of shocked to hear that a black and red gene was covered up by this "golden" color. Does she have any sign of a saddle or is her body really just that one color? To see a light colored dog with a mask that dark is amazing. I'm guessing because the mask is still there and so prominent that this can't be a masking gene, correct? Can you post her pedigree? Or at least the mother's name? What does it say for color under the dam?

Anyways...she looks very powerful, good top line, just a very well balanced dog.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

The UKC and AKC standards for color are almost identical and the faults are the same so I'm curious why the UKC is being suggested? The UKC does allow white GSDs but they are shown as a separate breed. I've never seen a dog colored this way in a UKC show, not saying it can't be done but the standard is the same and it will be a fault.

At any rate, given her age I think she's pretty lovely!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. Her body is solid gold with no trace of a saddle. Just with a black mask and dark ears. I have not ordered her pedigree or even sent in the paperwork for her yet. I am still trying to figure out a name to register her under... proving to be more difficult than I thought. That would be interesting if I could show her in UKC. I would consider doing that just for the fun of it, if I would be allowed to. Thanks again!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Master Member

Wow I would love to see more photos of her! She is a very cool color!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page