Lets See What You Guys Think... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Lets See What You Guys Think...

I had him critiqued by a club member that is heavily involved in AKC conformation. I'd like to see what some of you think...

Not sure if they're too large, but I don't know how to resize...if needed I will resize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Knighted Member

How old is he?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

21 months. Please comment! I'm not worried about it too much...its just for my own information on what people think of him, and maybe learn a little more about what the standard is and how he is or isn't conforming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

This is what I think I see. Not sure if I'm correct or not.

The front looks ok. The angulation between scapula and humerus is a bit closed (acute) due to the humerus being a bit short. The dark black line running from his shoulder blade to chest kinda threw me off for a min, but I do believe he could be more angulated up front. Appears to stand east-west. Can't really see the feet, but in the top picture, they do look pretty tight. His top line seems to have a slight dip right behind the withers, but that could be the way he's standing maybe. The loin seems just a hair long and the croup short. Croup has a really nice angle though- but unfortunately short. Tail set seems appropriate for croup.

I have a really hard time with the rear end. I think that the upper leg seems a long compared to the pelvis and lower leg, which seems to be common with dogs that have short upper arms (at least from what I've read people critique on this forum).

It could just be the angle, and would definitely help to see him in motion, but I think I'd say that it might be nice to take around 3 lbs off of him. He does have a nice tummy tuck, but just seems to me he could be a bit more trim.

That's my try at a critique!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Elite Member

Not qualified to critique, but I think he is a handsome dog. I thought he could use a couple of pounds. I would be curious to hear what others think.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not qualified either, but I still think it's fun to try.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Elite Member

Is your dog West German?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Crowned Member

I am more into German Show Lines, so I can be all wet. And it is really subjective anyway.

Overall impression is of a strong, agile dog, that can work.

I like the color. Nice big ears. Yucky prong collar. The eye is nice, but I am not sure if the stop is a bit domed or rounded, something. I do not like the muzzle at all, it looks long and skinny like the American specialty show-line dogs. A little lippy, lots of tongue (Jenna shows lots of tongue in probably every photo every snapped of her).

I like the depth from withers to elbow, elbow to ground. Top line is nice in my opinion, at least to the tail, the tail set is a bit off, but not bad. If the dog has a black tip to his tail, than the tail is nice, if that is a shadow, the tail is a little short.

I like a mature dog to be a little heavier in the front, not sure if the dog maybe could use a little thicker bone, I definitely like that his rear does not have an over-long stifle.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I like a mature dog to be a little heavier in the front, not sure if the dog maybe could use a little thicker bone, I definitely like that his rear does not have an over-long stifle.
selzer, I was going to PM you on this but figured everyone could benefit. I thought the term stifle simply meant the knee joint itself. I get the feeling that people may use it to refer to something else though. For example- what would it mean to have a "long stifle?" Are you referring to the joint, or the bones coming out of the joint (femur, tibia, fibula)? Just curious because this isn't the first time I've heard someone use the term long of short stifle and I really don't know what that means.

Willy
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, well, I was going to say femur, but my brother broke his femur once, and I never hear dog people talk about the femur, so I looked up a picture, and found stifle joint right where I was thinking. And I do hear dog people talk about stifles and yes as in long or short. But it is a joint, and a joint is just a connection between two points, so I guess it was incorrect. The point I was referring to is the upper hind leg, that too many show dogs have way too long IMO.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page