Second attempt... Fixed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Second attempt... Fixed?

Ok, tried again.... fixed the back leg, now it's in line with his penis. I tried to put his other back leg not too far away from him, but then it bunched his top line and made him looked hunched over. When I pulled it back out, his top line straightened out and looked (to my untrained eyes) more correct. I also didn't have a lot of time, because of the weather changing for the worse, with getting him to get his head up and alert. He was too focus on me with the treat. (right before dinner time too... he was ready to eat)....

Anyway... How did I do this time?

I need to figure out an easier way to get his head up and alert ... maybe throw a toy? or have some one help hold a toy in front of him? Hmmm....

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

The second stack is just about perfect other than his turned head. Nice! And yes, tossing a toy helps if he can remain in position.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

You may want to train him to stack in a show collar. If you are training him to show, you will want him to pull out. And you will also have to show in a something other than a prong, so it is a good idea to get them used to a different collar for the behaviors they need for showing.

If you are just interested in how his conformation is, not showing, then disregard the above comment about the prong.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaM View Post
The second stack is just about perfect other than his turned head. Nice! And yes, tossing a toy helps if he can remain in position.
Thank you!

and that is something we are going to try next time... see how it goes! His stay is very nice.... but, I'm not sure if he'll stay in place completely, or if he'll move a leg or two. We'll see how that goes! Last time, how I got his head up was with out neighbor doing some work on his yard! lol! I just kept saying "who's that?!?!" "where'd he go?!?! Worked very well.... until he went inside! I may need to borrow him again!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

Just wanted to say that I think that he is a very handsome boy, I am not knowledgeable enough to do a critique on him.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM

what I used to do is, put them Dodge in his stack position, and work on a good "stay", (which meant DON"T MOVE and then stand in front of him vs off to the side..will keep the head straight on to you.

Lookin really nice))))) I think I like the second one, tho they are both pretty close,,one thing I do see is one rear foot looks a tad turned out? Placement I'm sure or the pic shot..

and yep lose the prong))

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
You may want to train him to stack in a show collar. If you are training him to show, you will want him to pull out. And you will also have to show in a something other than a prong, so it is a good idea to get them used to a different collar for the behaviors they need for showing.

If you are just interested in how his conformation is, not showing, then disregard the above comment about the prong.
Thank you! I do have a show collar, just don't normally put it on when we are out since it slides off a lot. We usually use it for grooming now. Though, I will try it with him next time. I don't think it'll make a difference in how he acts though... he's a really good boy! Just for looks, we'll try it out!

He pulls out on leash when I allow him... though, unless I have something/someone getting his attention, he seems to not pull out well... he waits for me to catch up. Still needs work!

I really wish I could show him, however, he's neutered.... last time I read up on the requirements, I believe I saw that he would have to be intact? Could be wrong though... never look too seriously into it.

For now, just really looking for some critiquing on his confo and definitely my stacking jobs... this dog knows way more then I do with this! lol! He stacks himself perfectly quite often... Wish I was that accurate! Though, any information, critiques, and suggestions are welcome! Never a bad thing!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
Just wanted to say that I think that he is a very handsome boy, I am not knowledgeable enough to do a critique on him.
Thank you!! He's an excellent dog! Definitely my little shadow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
what I used to do is, put them Dodge in his stack position, and work on a good "stay", (which meant DON"T MOVE and then stand in front of him vs off to the side..will keep the head straight on to you.

Lookin really nice))))) I think I like the second one, tho they are both pretty close,,one thing I do see is one rear foot looks a tad turned out? Placement I'm sure or the pic shot..

and yep lose the prong))
Yes, definitely losing the prong next time! Lesson learned! Time to get the show collar back out! And working on that "stay means stay put"! Thank you!

He turns out his paws sometimes.... front not as much. He can be east-west in his front... but, once fixed, they don't move. The back, I sometimes fix and he moves.... need to keep a better eye on that I guess. Maybe the picture angle, maybe not... it's something common with him, so they probably were.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

In AKC you cannot show an altered dog. I think Canadian Kennel Club, is starting to have an altered class. And fun matches I think it is ok.

He looks nice. German Show line?

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

Yes I would throw a toy out or have someone stand about 20-30 feet ahead of him (and slightly toward the camera) with a toy or something he likes. The placement of the anatomy is not bad but the dog doesn't look natural so it's hard to judge. The stack should look like the dog was walking along, and then stopped, alert. These are a few where I did just that, basically gave my stand-out-of-motion command and then run around snapped a picture (if he looks at me I thrown my lens cap or something so he looks forward again). The stacks themselves are not perfect placement but the dog looks pretty natural since he positioned himself.

And these are ones where the dog was placed in a stack. Not really that much different from above, no?

Last edited by Liesje; 04-05-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page