Need some Critiquing! Learning to stack. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Need some Critiquing! Learning to stack.

I guess this is more of a "critique owner's stacking ability" then the dog. Duke looks amazing when he has a knowledgeable person stacking him. I'm definitely not doing it well enough to show that! Though, I do welcome critiques on him too.

I tried to do it by myself for a while, since I REALLY have been wanting to learn. It wasn't the best idea... very difficult and I guess didn't help much. Here were my attempts.

I got lucky, Will came home from work shortly after and helped me out with an extra set of eyes and worked the phone camera for me. He did a good job staying level with the dog. Definitely a much better way of doing it!

Favorite v (though I see some flaws with how I placed his paws)

Some flaws I could see (Untrained eye, could be wrong):
-sometimes he's east-west. I usually fix it, but it looks like I missed a few times.
-his blanket is not pitch black (which from what I understand is a flaw in males?)
-I have a habit of putting his front end a little too far under him, bunching him up a bit.
-I can't seem to find a good position in the back legs... either I am too far out or not enough.
-his front feet may be a little flat? They are not as tight as I've seen some other dogs on here.

Any ideas? What can I fix? How? Any tips?

I am really trying to learn and Duke has thankfully been a very calm and patient dog to learn with! I've looked at a million pictures of properly stacked GSDs and read all the "how to's", I try to keep those in mind when doing it myself. However, it'd be nice to get some ideas on here, since I know there is a LOT of knowledge to be gained from everyone.

I would appreciate any critiques on my stack, and Duke. Thanks ahead of time!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Forgot to add..

He's 27.5 tall and 75lbs. He goes back and forth from 75lbs-80lbs. Never heavier though.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

To me the second to last stack is the best, the dog looks the most alert and natural, but the left leg is too far forward (it should fall somewhere between the tip of the penis and the right knee). At first I could not see anything at all but when I got to the last stacks I really like what I see overall. Is he black and red or sable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
To me the second to last stack is the best, the dog looks the most alert and natural, but the left leg is too far forward (it should fall somewhere between the tip of the penis and the right knee). At first I could not see anything at all but when I got to the last stacks I really like what I see overall. Is he black and red or sable?
Thank you! I thought I was doing something wrong in the back.... I'll fix that next time we work on it!

Are his front legs too far under him in the last two? I started off putting his legs too far forward.... so I think I was over correcting? Or could that just look that way because of my placing of the back left being too far forward?

He is a black and red, but his blanket seems to have some sable-ing in it. It's from his dam who had a lot of grey/tan running through her blanket (reminds me of a sables color). His sire had a solid black blanket. So I am not sure what that is considered. Just a flaw I guess?

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

This shows his color a bit better

Other side

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Wow I'm getting better! That was the one I thought was best too but the rear legs were off.

He is a very handsome boy! I love his coat, and his color! But it's strange, over both ribs, his black has tan spots in it!
What's up with that?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Wow I'm getting better! That was the one I thought was best too but the rear legs were off.

He is a very handsome boy! I love his coat, and his color! But it's strange, over both ribs, his black has tan spots in it!
What's up with that?
Thank you!

I have no idea! He has different color patches.... None of them are loss of fur. His coat is beautiful, no missing fur, or thin areas, and no scars... it's just his coloration. Very strange.

His mother had a bitch stripe, and some coloration within her saddle.... but the sire was solid black and red. So he definitely got it from his mother.

Dam:
V Gina vom Mühlenschlad - German Shepherd Dog

Sire:
VA2 Quenn vom Löher Weg - German Shepherd Dog

His pedigree:
P - Litter von Jagenstadt - German Shepherd Dog

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Elite Member

The tan spots look like "scratch" spots--right where the dog can hit his sides when he scratches with his hind legs. This can show up especially when a dog is blowing coat--more coat will come out in the spots the dog can reach to scratch.

Does he seem to itch a lot?

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackthornGSD View Post
The tan spots look like "scratch" spots--right where the dog can hit his sides when he scratches with his hind legs. This can show up especially when a dog is blowing coat--more coat will come out in the spots the dog can reach to scratch.

Does he seem to itch a lot?
Lately, yes. Which would make sense on the tan spots on his red. Blanket as always been the same, but the tan has changed a bit. He IS shedding badly the past week or so... With how much hair is coming off him, he must be blowing his coat. Our weather has also changed dramatically here. From cool/spring weather to very hot/humid/rainy summer.

He doesn't have fleas or sensitive skin/allergies... so I am assuming it's maybe just a stage of blowing his coat and the weather?

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Banned

I think it does itch some when they blow...I know at times I see small flakes of dandruff come out with the undercoat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page