critique Male 30 months for first show - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

critique Male 30 months for first show

Hey all,

looking for some pointers for my boy for our first show next month. His nails are needing to be shorter so his toes are a bit sloppy. Which in these photos you won't be able to see them from the grass.... But I know they are to long. SO here goes.....

1 GSD - Valkyrie, 1 Border Collie - Ruger
1 Rescue GSD - Charlie

I will love you forever, Like you for always, always forever my babies you'll be.....
RIP - Pharoah (GSD) (July 27/09)
RIP - Brutis (Great Dane) (August 18/09) I will miss you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

OH ty in advance also

1 Rescue GSD - Charlie

I will love you forever, Like you for always, always forever my babies you'll be.....
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Elite Member

He is very out of coat--or very short coated? This makes him look a little fine boned and doesn't hide anything. A dog with a thick coat or longer coat can hide lots of flaws more easily.

Nice pigmentation with a lovely dark mask, masculine head and attractive and correct profile, good earset.

Very "dry" dog--tight ligamentation, well muscled, and firm condition. He has nice high withers and a strong, short back, but a short, quite steep croup.

His upper arm is a bit short and a bit steep and I think his scapula looks a bit upright too. Good/correct rear angulation without being extreme.

His neck looks really long, which I've heard means that there is a lot of room for freedom of movement in the shoulder--so he may move better than his shoulder might imply in this picture.

If he moves well, he might go SG--but that will take both good ring training and nice, balanced movement on his part.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned

JMHO
No front angulation. Rear angulation OK but probably less than enough for show. Lacks bone and masculinity. Nice withers and topline, slightly steep croup.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

he has a very short coat...... he has just blown his winter hair already also :$

1 Rescue GSD - Charlie

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 AM
Crowned Member

did you use a furminator to strip out undercoat?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

yeah I did :$ he sheds like a mad man....... I won't use it for the next month hopefully he'll have some hair regrowth. if you use a slicker type brush he hates it. He will whines and cries..... is there another brush that works well and won't scratch his skin as much? And won't pull out his undercoat any further? ThAT Is a lesson learned for sure now! He is also West German working lines... not show lines....

1 Rescue GSD - Charlie

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Banned

A rake is much better, and cheaper than furminator. Furminator damages coats.
Once carms mentioned it I can see that's what's going on.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

A Zoom Groom (long, soft rubber teeth) or rubber curry brush (short firm rubber teeth) will take out a lot of dead hair without damaging the coat. The Furminator won't damage the coat if used correctly, but it is easy to overdo. You just want to sort of pet the dog with it so that it takes out the loose hair but leaves the live hair. 5 minutes or less. Even with my clients who want their dogs' hair thinned out drastically, I use the Furminator with care--you can really make a dog bald with it if you want to.

Since he is already out of coat, I'd recommend putting the Furminator away for now and just using a soft rubber brush. You'll be amazed at how much hair comes out.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Crowned Member

Personally I don't like the Zoom or the Furminator. I tried the Zoom for a while and it just sort of grabbed everything. With a normal coated dog I think a rake is really all you need, that is all I use and I show my dogs. I've seen two really nice GSDs have their coats over-Furminated and both took about a year to come back to normal, could not show the dogs during that time (they looked bald and to those who know a GSD coat it was obviously broken). They were tighter coated dogs so that made it worse and more obvious. The only time I use a Furminator is when I use a cat Furminator to help tease out little mats behind the ears of my long coated mix.

You did a really good job with the stacks and the photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page