Critique my two GSD's! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Critique my two GSD's!

Ironhide - 25 months, 58-60lbs

My first attempts at stacking while outside - I am waiting for better pics taken inside.

Gladiator - 9 months, 60-65 lbs

His stack was harder and now I see his legs should have been more underneath him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

They are both absolutely stunning!

Gladiator.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Crowned Member

The black dog is hard to see. The sable dog is quite thin, so hard (for me) to give an assessment. Hopefully some of the more conformation savvy people will post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
The black dog is hard to see. The sable dog is quite thin, so hard (for me) to give an assessment. Hopefully some of the more conformation savvy people will post.
I agree. The black dog is too shallow in the body. The female is beautiful but her hip bones are prominent. They both look undernourished.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
I agree. The black dog is too shallow in the body. The female is beautiful but her hip bones are prominent. They both look undernourished.

They both eat about 6 cups a day of TOTW and are exercised about 3 hours a day, and yes some people think they are too thin (so far all pet people) - however my training mentor, my ScH club, our ScH club friends in Alaska, her breeder and my vet think they are absolutely amazing, fit and healthy (Oh and me too!LOL). So not really looking for critiques on weight, just conformation.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

What do you mean by shallow in the body for Gladiator? Do you mean his stomach tuck?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Crowned Member

N.Smith..
Although the sable dog is thin....(she?) looks to be fit.
Nothing screams "wrong" with her...and she is in the average weight class for the breed, especially if she is a "finer" boned GSD.
As for the black puppy....he is only 9mos old...and looks completely normal for his age.
It is not desirable to be "too much" at his age....and the age (especially for a male) can be one of the *excuse me for saying*...ugliest times in growth.
Both dogs look good.
Best wishes!

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
N.Smith..
Nothing screams "wrong" with her...and she is in the average weight class for the breed, especially if she is a "finer" boned GSD.
As for the black puppy....he is only 9mos old...and looks completely normal for his age.
It is not desirable to be "too much" at his age....and the age (especially for a male) can be one of the *excuse me for saying*...ugliest times in growth.
Both dogs look good.
Best wishes!

Thank you! I really appreciate your words. I don't know you personally, but I have only heard good things, so I am greatful for your critique.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Knighted Member

Gotta say, I LOVE those names!

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

nice dogs -- I am in the "too thin camp" too much tuck (underline) ribs with no cover -- the sable looks like someone who has lost a bit of weight but is still wearing the old "fat" clothes , looks like there is more skin

conformationally the sable has a very steep croup

both look to have nice feet and strong ligaments, pigment good
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
N.Smith..
Both dogs look good.
Best wishes!
I agree with Robin.

I know you didn't ask, but for the rest of the posters.... I think the sable girl looks thin--but well muscled. And at 10-48 months, it's very, very hard to put weight on an very active, very athletic dog unless you restrict exercise while also upping food.

I personally don't like to be able to see the point of a hip in profile nor to feel the hip bones and the dips between them easily---however, there are several of my young dogs who are like that. I pretty much feed them as much as they can eat without having it just come out the other end as excess bulk. One thing I've started to do is look for higher-calorie foods--ToTW is not a bad food, but it's not particularly high calorie per cup.

As long as they are able to put on and/or maintain muscle, they are *not* underfed. No more than you'd look at a marathon runner and consider them underfed.

Christine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page