Please critique Pimg - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Please critique Pimg

There seems to be a host of "critique my dog" threads lately, and well, I guess curiosity killed the cat. Turns out, I hate cats anyway!

So here goes. I'd really like to get an honest critique on Pimg. You won't hurt my feelings- my dog is my world and there is nothing anyone could say to change my opinion of her. So feel free to offer an honest critique.

Pimg has pretty much never stood in a stack on her own. Even placing her into this position has never net good results. For whatever reason, she does not like standing this way, and often moves before I can snap the picture. However, I was able to get a few shots today with her in a stack (figures I didn't have my good camera with me!). Here are the stacked shots:

And here are a few other shots that show various aspects of her structure. Here's a pseudo stack of her standing naturally:

I happen to think her rear end is really nicely structured- though I admittedly don't know much on the subject. But her legs are very straight, unlike a lot of what I would call "loose-legged" GSDs:

Oddly, I have very few photos of Pimg sitting straight on. So here's a few shots showing her feet and chest:

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Elite Member

I love her face! Probably not the critique that you were looking for but I really like her feminine quality.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 PM

Such a beautiful dog that you have there. Absolutely love the last few that are posted. My gsd does that stance on occasion but rarely do I have my camera available and the iPhone takes forever to load. But amazing photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Blehmannwa!

I should have mentioned- Pimg is nearly 6 years old in most of those pictures.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Knighted Member

She looks like a very happy dog!
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Bump.

I know it's approaching a holiday weekend and all, but the forum in general seems to be busy. I'm still hoping someone can give a full critique.

If it helps, Pimg is 26" tall, 28" long, and 68.5 pounds. As mentioned above, she is 2 months shy of 6 years old.

Willy
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Flat withers, OK topline, very nice croup. Sufficient angulation front and rear. She is balanced. Good feet and she stands correct from the front and rear. Good head, nice dark eyes, but I would like to see better color, more black. Nice girl.

Sorry, I have been in and out today and didn't have time until now to get to your post.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Lisa, and everyone else who chimed in!

Willy
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Knighted Member

I certainly don't have the qualification for a professional critique but I'll chime in.

She is PURTY!!!!

Linda
Amari's Gunner 9/14/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy (kitty) 8/15/07
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ I reject your reality and substitute my own ~ Adam Savage

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

Hi Wildo , just getting around to it . Standing at 26 inches , for a female she is over sized according to standard which sets females at 22 - 24 inches . But she is strong and athletic looking and proportionate . Not "just big" and sloppy.
Nice head and expression . Bright intelligent eye . I can't decide on her feet -- in the first picture her foot is sort of pressed downward because she is not on a level surface - actually standing on a downward incline . So I don't know if her foot is slightly longer toed or not , padding seems to be good . She needs to have her toe nails clipped a bit and that will help her tighten up on the feet. Nails pale , white on left foot indicating colour paling. Better pigment desired . Hair coat also. Black nails tend to be harder and prone to less damage or splitting.
Her wither is flat , lower than her back, but she is not roached. She has a nice short back which flows into a very nice croup. The wither would be the top of the shoulder blade or scapula which is positioned where the neck ends and the back begins . Her upper arm is somewhat short . This impedes a freely moving front with extension , movement will be somewhat stiff because the angles from scapula to humerus are more upright or straight. Ideally the front is made up by three parts, scapula (unattached - held by ligament bands and muscle), humerus or upper arm and lower arm all of equal length . The humerus attaches to the scapula and ends at the elbow . That stiffness means something for a dog that needs to trot on uneven ground for a protracted time as the angles allow for a cushion from the impact , whereas the straight or short layback and short upper arm are like an old bike - compared to a mountain bike , or an old car without springs.
You are interested in a dog for agility and previous posts you were investigating dogs with wild speed . More important is structure , especially the front , a poor front is a pet peeve of mine - too often a good front is neglected. A good front with strong muscle and ligament allows for efficient forward movement, quick change of direction, scaling and landing well without injury.
Her rear is balanced to her front. Ideally here too the upper leg and lower leg , should be of equal length. Sometimes balance overall is more important than a singular "good" feature.
If the rear has more angulation , or more length of upper leg- femur to lower leg - stifle , than front assembly then the front has to get out of the way for the hind leg coming in under the body. You see a lot of dogs raising themselves up almost to a run , or flipping or paddling or throwing front legs out to the side. I think this is what I pointed out with your lovely Gretchen . She had a more rear than front.
I think your dog would choose to gallop more often than trot .
If the rear has too little action , driving in under and snapping back than you have limited drive forward.

Too little at both ends and you have more of a terrier type conformation made for short burst of speed and to dig in (untippable). I think you are a bit closer to this type .

one of the best articles and illustrations thanks to Linda
Shaw New Page 1 the front New Page 1 the rear

THE ILLUSTRATED STANDARD OF THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG

Shawlein Fine Art & Purebred German Shepherd Dogs

"Timmy" is a result of her Corry and my Katiana (Katya - Kilo's sister) . black Kato is a son of Timmy back to one of my Kohl Carmspack Kohl - German Shepherd Dog --- Kato has some of the best most elastic - go for miles and miles and miles movement that

Dingo vom haus Gero -- beautifully proportioned - "poetry in motion" movement Dingo vom Haus Gero - working-dog.eu

A fit dog with moderate angulation will move better than a dog with good angulation that has poor ligaments or is out of condition. !!

So your dog is well balanced. Appears to have good ligaments , muscle, condition and is a lovely animal to look at .
food for thought -- cherish your dog

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page