Critique "Iorek" Tamaska von Sch¯ne Stadt - 10 weeks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Critique "Iorek" Tamaska von Schöne Stadt - 10 weeks

I know he is only a puppy and they will go through plenty of changes as they get older, but I'm curious as to what you all think of him?

He is actually 12 1/2 weeks old now, but these are the most recent stack pictures I have of him, since he isn't the easiest puppy to stack! lol (What puppy is?! )

Stack -

Head shots -

His head shot now (8/17/11) -

Profile shot -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Crowned Member

Hmmm...were you taking the picture completley parallel to him? It seems like the angle is such that there is lens distortion and it is making his back end look tiny in comparison to his back end...like you were shooting at a front to back angle. I would also zoom out a little so you don't have barrel distortion...not sure that is helping.

But the front shots are super cute!! Awesome color and expression!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

When I took those two above stack pictures I was more towards his front end. I had to straighten and crop both of those stack pictures because it's difficult stacking a hyper puppy AND taking the pictures by yourself. I appreciate the suggestions though, and I had a helper take pictures of me stacking Iorek today.

Here are the stack pictures from today... (so much easier when I had a helper to take pictures!!)

Stack -

(I cropped myself out of the picture and put it on another picture I took)

Head shots (from today as well) -

Profile shot -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:42 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Very nice dark face.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

I am not knowledgeable to critique your boy, but he sure is a handsome little fellow.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
While acknowledging that this puppy will change quite a bit between now and 2 years old, here's what I see currently:

Beautiful ear set. Dark, masculine head, lovely for his age. Good length of neck, but set a bit low. Wither is flat, leading into an ok topline. Croup is long, but quite steep. Good tailset.

Good bone, a bit soft in the pasterns right now. Layback of shoulder is pushed forward and should be set back a bit. Underline is ok, but could use a more pronounced tuck (the issue is shaping more than anything).

Would like a better turn of stifle, but rear angulation is sufficient.

Very nice feet.

Cute baby ^_^

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Crowned Member

Oh yes that last picture does him much better justice!!

I hear ya about trying to wrangle those kids

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
While acknowledging that this puppy will change quite a bit between now and 2 years old, here's what I see currently:

Beautiful ear set. Dark, masculine head, lovely for his age. Good length of neck, but set a bit low. Wither is flat, leading into an ok topline. Croup is long, but quite steep. Good tailset.

Good bone, a bit soft in the pasterns right now. Layback of shoulder is pushed forward and should be set back a bit. Underline is ok, but could use a more pronounced tuck (the issue is shaping more than anything).

Would like a better turn of stifle, but rear angulation is sufficient.

Very nice feet.

Cute baby ^_^
Thank you for the critique!!! I really appreciate it!

I think his neck may look a little low in the picture due to my lack of knowledge on how to properly stack a dog (and I had my treat bag on the ground in front of him because I couldn't hold that and stack him at the same time lol and so he would at least look in that general direction, but I'm probably wrong. Do you think his topline is off because his hind leg is a little too stretched out?

I couldn't see what his stack looked like from the front and my helper knows less than I do when it comes to stacking a dog, so Iorek's stack definitely wasn't perfect!

Do you think some of the things you mentioned will eventually correct themselves as he grows? I know it's hard to tell right now, but I'm wondering if faults correcting themselves as the puppy grows is common?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
I think his neck may look a little low in the picture due to my lack of knowledge on how to properly stack a dog
While this is part of it (and it takes time to learn how to #1 stack a dog and #2 learn how to stack a dog based on its individual virtues and deficiencies), when you start learning how to look at the skeletal structure *inside* the dog, and not just the outer shell, you can see the issue better.

Even if you brought his head up a bit, you would be able to see that where his neck ties into his shoulders, the set is a bit low.

Quote:
Do you think his topline is off because his hind leg is a little too stretched out?
Again, yes and no. Regardless of how you stack him, this puppy does have a very steep croup. You can make it look better or worse, depending on how you stack the dog.

Will his croup change? Probably a little bit. Will it ever stop being steep? No.

His pasterns should firm up a bit as he ages. He is still just a baby after all His topline will likely do all sorts of weird things as he grows, and his underline will follow suit

I actually took pictures of my little girl from week to week until she was about 6 months old, so I could see all the changes she was undergoing.

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
Even if you brought his head up a bit, you would be able to see that where his neck ties into his shoulders, the set is a bit low.
Also note that this is an AKC-style vs international style GSD issue--in the AKC conformation ring, the preference seems to be for a dog whose neck is more vertical than is selected for in European GSDs.

Christine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page