Stacking Do's & Don'ts - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Stacking Do's & Don'ts

From this thread... https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-critique.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta
I really want to assist in the critiques...but I don't want to be *unfair* in them either....
Many of the pictures do not *accentuate* the good attributes of the dogs posted.
They do the opposite...the are *enhancing* the short comings, and minor or major faults of these wonderful dogs.
I would prefer to comment on the dogs, when they can be *shown* in a positive view.
Maybe we should start a thread about the *proper* way to stack our wonderful dogs!!???
Pictures can be posted on the do's and don'ts......so everyone can learn.
THEN...we can attempt to give proper critiques of them, in a later thread???
*I would be glad to critiques dogs at that time*....trying to critique now, could possibly offend...and I don't want that to happen at all.
Since Conformation is one of the venues we competitively participate in.....I really do enjoy this thread!
What says all???
Someone start a *Do's & Don't Stacking Thread*...and we can start learning from there........
Rei....your dog, Lies's dogs, and Whiteshepherds...are the closest for decent stands..(for Conformation critiques)....but they too can be done better to *show* the dogs for the best evaluation.
I know that many people like natural stand pics (I do too)...but lets learn what the "Judges want to see".
OK????????????

Here is my most recent stack attempt

I know he is looking up instead of forward alert but what else is wrong? I will not be offended by any comments.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

I give you credit for asking. I wouldn't do it because the flaws I don't see don't yet exist to me.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

Brandi....I must commend you on a very good attempt and without the assistance of a "handler". KUDOS!
Since your dog has a very straight upper-arm....do not present him with his head held high (it accentuates this fault). Also try to get the front feet a little farther under him (he is standing elbows & feet out).
There is not much more you can do in the "rear" area.....he has very little rear angulation and tall hocks.
*NOTE*.....when we teach our junior handlers to "stack" a dog...Carlos always tells them this piece of information.
Look at the dog along it's side....place the front legs *by gently pulling back at their arm/elbows, so that the legs are completely underneath the dog evenly. Then place the "inner leg" slightly forward underneath the dog. Lastly, pull the outer leg gently by the hocks, and gently slide straight backwards in a straight line from the placement of the front legs.
Imagine a straight line along the side of the dog.....line up front and back leg evenly.
*I'm trying to explain things easily and in laymen terms.....let me know if you or anyone else cannot understand....I will try harder.

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagelfn View Post
From this thread... https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-critique.html

Here is my most recent stack attempt

I know he is looking up instead of forward alert but what else is wrong? I will not be offended by any comments.
Well the front legs are not even. Ultimately especially with a photographic view, it is ultimate to have the front legs so lined up that you cannot even tell there is another leg behind it.

The rear leg closest to the camera is over stacked. You want the hock to be Perpendicular to the ground as much as possible.

Sometimes it helps to put a leash and collar on the dog and put pressure on the leash backwards and throw a ball or toy in front of the dog (or have someone standing in front of dog grabbing attention to get ears forwards). This causes the dog to "lean" forwards causing the dog to lean more on its front legs more and shift weight which usually turns out to be the best stacks.

To give you an idea here is a standing stack and here is a leaning stack of Havoc

Leaning:

Not Leaning:

see the subtle differences in that topline? Leaning really raises the Withers and lowers the rear and makes the front assembly look much better put together.

also notice the slight camera angle difference. It is important to focus the camera directly parallell with the dog and aiming towards the center of the chest. Which you did a good job of, but I just wanted to point it out anyways since that photo is a good example.

Another thing to always keep in mind (not directed at the OP) is the sun. Have the sun shadowing behind the dog and not beaming down on a direct area. This can end up ruining a stack photo by washing out a dog, or glaring on a dogs coat which is never fun.

The last and most important thing is. Be ready to take a ton of photos. It usually takes me about 100-200 photos to get ONE decent stack shot LOL

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."

Last edited by 4TheDawgies; 04-26-2011 at 09:44 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
Brandi....I must commend you on a very good attempt and without the assistance of a "handler". KUDOS!
Since your dog has a very straight upper-arm....do not present him with his head held high (it accentuates this fault). Also try to get the front feet a little farther under him (he is standing elbows & feet out).
There is not much more you can do in the "rear" area.....he has very little rear angulation and tall hocks.
*NOTE*.....when we teach our junior handlers to "stack" a dog...Carlos always tells them this piece of information.
Look at the dog along it's side....place the front legs *by gently pulling back at their arm/elbows, so that the legs are completely underneath the dog evenly. Then place the "inner leg" slightly forward underneath the dog. Lastly, pull the outer leg gently by the hocks, and gently slide straight backwards in a straight line from the placement of the front legs.
Imagine a straight line along the side of the dog.....line up front and back leg evenly.
*I'm trying to explain things easily and in laymen terms.....let me know if you or anyone else cannot understand....I will try harder.
Thank you Robin. With his long legs and little angulation I have struggled finding how to stack him. No matter what it just looks wrong to me. I know he has really bad conformation but I enjoy learning about GSD conformation and want to learn how to stack correctly for my future GSD.

What does standing elbows and feet out mean?

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagelfn View Post
Thank you Robin. With his long legs and little angulation I have struggled finding how to stack him. No matter what it just looks wrong to me. I know he has really bad conformation but I enjoy learning about GSD conformation and want to learn how to stack correctly for my future GSD.

What does standing elbows and feet out mean?
It means he is bridging slightly, The front legs need to be directly under him, your dogs are slightly out in front of him.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Crowned Member

The elbow should lay close to the dog's brisket area....in your picture...you can actually "see" the elbow joint, and the leg is slightly turned outward.
As for the rear hock area...your dog has very little rear angulation, so the long hocks will not look very perpendicular to the ground anyway.....but you can help the rear by placing that outer leg "straighter" in line with the front...instead of slightly placed outward away from the rear body.
*Maris.....nice dog.....but he can have his rear hock area look better too.
In the first picture, his hock turns inward (towards the body)...that gives an appearance of being "close in the rear or hocky"....and not always is that true.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Master Member

Quote:
The elbow should lay close to the dog's brisket area....in your picture...you can actually "see" the elbow joint, and the leg is slightly turned outward.
As for the rear hock area...your dog has very little rear angulation, so the long hocks will not look very perpendicular to the ground anyway.....but you can help the rear by placing that outer leg "straighter" in line with the front...instead of slightly placed outward away from the rear body.
*Maris.....nice dog.....but he can have his rear hock area look better too.
In the first picture, his hock turns inward (towards the body)...that gives an appearance of being "close in the rear or hocky"....and not always is that true.
Thank you

and yes I know unfortunately that stack the rear does look a little hocky and I pulled that rear leg a little too far back. Thats the best one that turned out that day tho lol

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

Good job! ....better than I could do if I had to do it all alone! LOL!
I'm better at "looking" and telling the handler what needs to be where.....than trying to do it myself!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Good job! ....better than I could do if I had to do it all alone! LOL!
I'm better at "looking" and telling the handler what needs to be where.....than trying to do it myself!
lol it really sucks when you don't have someone at the view of the camera telling you what to fix and what not to fix, Its supppper helpful!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page