Critique my critique - Page 15 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

GSD Fan.....what "feed back" are you looking for?
Which critique are you referring to and to which dog?

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
GSD Fan.....what "feed back" are you looking for?
Which critique are you referring to and to which dog?
Well, I was just looking for any type of feedback, but I posted that without thinking. Different people see different things, so I guess I don't need feedback.

The critiques I am referring are the two I just did on page 14, of kirk's and lejle's dogs.
post #143 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Master Member

Just a little fun (;

Elios. 2 year old light liver GSD
Toast. Hedgehog
Gizmo. Blue point, kink tailed kitten .

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Rei
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
I started typing this last month, but didn't have time to finish so I didn't post it at the time. Now that I am able to get back to it, here goes...

I am sorry you where ridiculed for trying to learn. There is no right or wrong way, fast or slow way to learn. The fact that you are LEARNING and working at your knowledge should be applauded. Feel free to pick apart my dogs anytime, anyone who knows me knows I am their harshest critic. If I don't know all their faults structual and other, then what am I doing breeding. As of yet I have not seen the "perfect" dog.

I'll even start...
Connor (first two photos at the top), needs better pasterns and tighter feet. He also needs a better tail set and could use a better croup. His lips are a little loose and his muzzle is a little longer than I like (but that is part of his American heritage). When moving he is clean coming and going and just skims the ground (No lifting like some do). And he looks good and balanced at a fast or slow speed. He has a stallion appearence (you know he's a boy). But he is actually a little heavy for the standard (very big boned), he is the right height (26") but weighs 107 lbs. Oh yeah and his tail has a slight hook, but I always seem to end up with tails like that...Anyone else. I could also mention that his ears tip back at the tip, but that is not a fault of the dog, but my fault for leaving his ears taped (across his head) too long.

Kenna (a Best In Maturity Winner, 3rd and 4th photo from the top) has her faults too. Pasterns being a big one, hers are too long, which adds to them being weeker then they should be. Her toes too are very long and could use tighter feet. Her biggest fault though is her steep shoulders (she doen't have the 90 degree angle at the shoulder). When moving she is slightly hocky going, clean coming. Carries a great level topline, lovely croup and tailset (although in some pictures it is hard to tell, as she has longish hairs that curl around her butt - her breeder is always trying to get them to lay straight). She is very leggy (tall 25.5") and finner boned then I would like. I love her deep chest and maturity is sitting very well on her.

Kris (a BPIS, multi group winner, last photo at the bottom) had one of the most stricking heads I have ever had on a GSD, proportions where great. The only thing is her eyes could have been a little darker (they weren't bad, but not that deep rich dark chocolate). She had the great ears, they were up at 5 weeks of age and never went down, her leather (of her ears) was thicker (stiffer) than any of my other dogs I have had. Lovely neck and shoulders, could have used more chest (Depth). Also the length of her loin. It is hard to see in the above photo, gift of a good handler, but she was definatly a little long. She could use more slope to her croup and a slightly lower tail set. At least her tail didn't hook I would also have liked her to have a tad bit more rear and shorter hocks (just a bit). Oh I forgot her biggest is one you can't see in the photos. She was missing a first molar (not premolar) which is listed as a major fault in the standard. She was clean coming and going, and like her great grand nephew Connor looked good at any speed and like him she was a mover.

As for Siberian Huskies, I had them when I was a child. My grandmother bred, showed and raced them for over 35 years. I know a few people who have had siberians and GSDs (Not always at the same time). My grandmother was one of them (at her home is where I met and fell in love with the GSD breed, if fact recieved my first GSD from the same breeder as her) and the owner/breeder of Connor's sire is Nanook Siberians here in Alberta. Her boy Mister just finished last year as the #1 Siberian, #2 Working Dog and #12 dog in Canada (I believe). She was hoping for a pup from Connor (as he is the spitting image of his dad), but so far we have had not luck.

Good luck and keep learning (I know I still am).
krisk
GSDFan, did you miss this post? It was very helpful for me.

Thank you for taking the time to post and give your input, krisk.

- Grace

"Trash" Bite Risk vom Feuergarten BH HCT-s CGCA TKN (GSD)
"Siege" Zala IPO1 (Malinois)

"Trent" (GSD) 2009- 2019; The beginning of everything
"Legion" (Malinois) 2010 - 2018; My brightest star
post #145 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Banned

<<-- critique my avatar
post #146 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks...
GSDfan you made a good catch on Kenna's lack of under jaw (which I did not have in my critique - and should have). She does lack under jaw which gives her long american muzzle a very unpleasant snipey look when veiwed from the side. Good eye and keep up the good work.

krisk

Some of the critiques I have posted are not really that visiable in the pictures posted. One of the reasons it is very hard to get a good judge of a dog from a photo. Things can be hidden or staged to look how you want. If anyone would like to see some of what I am talking about I can look for some of my (lets just say) less flattering photos to show these faults.

Last edited by krisk; 05-15-2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added comment
post #147 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
I have never seen a roached back, that is very sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Danielle
post #148 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you for the critiques krisk! I believe I am slowly getting better with this.
post #149 of 149 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD Fan View Post
Second pic, from top to bottom.

Beautiful dog, big and musculine head. Love the head and ears, ears are in proportion to the head. I think the chest is a bit too far out over the front legs, nice underline and back. Good, brushy tail. Overall, I find this dog to be a good specimen as well. Beautiful dog by the way.
Since the dog is mine I will give you my critique. Some of these things I know because I own and show him, they may not be visible in a stacked picture.

Overall I like his balance and moderate structure, and medium size. Good bone but not excessively heavy. Not over-angulated. Front/shoulder could be better. Sometimes in movement lacks power in the rear. That could be improved with more ring training. Movement has always been dry, even as a young puppy no looseness. Toes out (east/west) a bit in front. Sometimes shows a little dip behind the wither. Nice head, decent stop, but underjaw may appear weak (especially in profile with the mouth shut - very slight overbite). OK ear set but they are a tad too big for my taste. Excellent color and pigment. Eyes could be darker. Good, healthy coat (luxurious without being too long or fluffy, excuse the non-technical terms!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page