You be the judge! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

You be the judge!

So there is a pretty good discussion going on in the "breed standard" section. While I have ideas about conformation, I cannot always put the proper words to what I see.

So, learning experience......
Critique these dogs, tell me who has better conformation, and why you think that according to the breed standard.
Take into consideration age and sex.

5 month old male:

6 Month old male:

10 Year old male:

7 year old female:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Knighted Member

It's so hard to tell from a picture. If you want to pack up that 5 month old and send him to me, I'd be able to evaluate better.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It is hard for me to decide order, but I will start with a few comments and hopefully some conformation people will speak up!

5 month old male:
Very masculine, slightly stretched male with excellent coloration. Slight dip at withers (slightly roached?), nice lower back and croup. Tail has curved tip.

6 mo male:
Again good colors/pigment. Not as masculine as the first puppy. Very straight/parallel front and back legs (as in not easty-westy). Shoulder too upright?
Tail is curved.

10 y/o male:
Huge radar ears, very weak pasterns. Decent topline and tailset.
Hind angulation good.

7 y/o female:
Very masculine head for a bitch. Flowing topline, nice tailset and carriage. Something a little funny with upper arm and shoulder. Longcoat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelas View Post
It's so hard to tell from a picture. If you want to pack up that 5 month old and send him to me, I'd be able to evaluate better.
X2!!!!

Your dogs are gorgeous!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the compliments.

Sorry angelas, that boy is here to stay!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM

Its hard to tell, as the dogs (first 3) IMO are not stacked correctly and the angle of the photo makes it hard aswell, The last photo looks to be the better stacked one of the dog, however again the angle of the photo makes it hard to look at the overall conformation of the dog.

Be interesting to hear other opinions as I am still learning aswell

5 Month old pup
Strong head, with good expression, good pigmentation and colour, level withers, looks to have a slightly short underchest

10 Year Old Male
Good head and expression, Slightly heavy in condition, level withers with slight dip behind, level topline with very short steep croup, foreleg should be longer, looks to have good hind quarter angulation

7 Year Old Female
Large, strong, strong head with lovely expression with well set ears, lovely pigment and colour, High withers, good topline, firm back, good length but slightly steep croup, good fore and hind quarter angulation with what looks to be nice short hocks, ideally the foreleg should be longer, slightly deep in chest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page